The time now is 25 May 2018 5:51 am
Story you Aggies will enjoy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> SEC Sports & Recruiting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
userbob123
Redshirt

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018 9:05 am 
Post subject: Story you Aggies will enjoy.
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Thia article appeared in the Tulsa World. It is an interview with your new S&C Coach, Jerry Schmidt. I just copied it from one of the OU message boards that I read, but don't post there. I thought you all would enjoy reading it. I hope I'm not violating any of your board rules by posting this story. If, so just let me know and delete it. My guess is that I will get some blow back from some. I guess that goes with the territory.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextr...60340.html

Jerry Schmidt looks back on 19-season run at OU, ahead to new challenge at Texas A&M
By Guerin Emig Tulsa World

Twenty years ago when Jerry Schmidt decided to follow coach Bob Stoops from Florida to Oklahoma, his dad had something to tell him.

“ ‘What are you doing?’ ” Schmidt recalled his dad saying. “ ‘What kind of decision is this?’

“He never said anything like that to me.”

Could you blame him? The Gators, with Schmidt as strength coach and Stoops as defensive coordinator, were competing for national championships. The Sooners were competing not to embarrass themselves.

But there was something magnetic about Stoops. There was something inspiring about what he intended to do.

“The challenge,” Schmidt said. “I enjoy putting teams together. I enjoy getting into a program and starting it from the ground up and getting people to buy into what you’re doing.”

Now Schmidt has left Oklahoma, where his body-shaping helped the Sooners win one national championship, play for three more and capture 11 Big 12 Conference titles, for Texas A&M. The Aggies haven’t won a league title since 1998, the year Stoops and Schmidt left Gainesville for Norman.

You can practically hear it again. What are you doing? What kind of decision is this?

“Yeah, I just felt ... something told me,” Schmidt said during a phone conversation the other day. “It was hard because of Lincoln (Riley, Stoops’ successor). But in my gut I knew it was time.”

It takes about 19 seconds for strength and conditioning coaches to antagonize their players. No 20-year-old wants some guy old enough to be his father spitting motivational fire in his face while the rest of campus is still two hours from waking. Occasionally that also antagonizes the good-cop staff members who recruited the players.

This is the reality for Schmidt and anyone else who does his job. They are taskmasters who are there to make football players, not friends.

That always made Schmidt’s 19-season run at OU rather remarkable, a testament to both Stoops’ loyalty and the fact that as Director of Sports Enhancement, Schmidt really did enhance the Sooners’ chances of winning. It also made you wonder how long he could ride it out.

When Jimbo Fisher decided to leave Florida State to be Texas A&M’s coach at the start of last December, we were about to discover that.

“He put some feelers out, and I told him I couldn’t talk until after the Rose Bowl,” Schmidt said. “We started having more conversations a couple days after that.”

Schmidt liked Fisher immediately. He had only met him once, but he appreciated what industry peers said about him.

Schmidt liked A&M, having made regular stops in College Station when the Aggies were still Big 12 brethren.

“I knew what this place was about. I knew it was a sleeping giant,” he said. “I just think with good leadership, which Jimbo’s got and the athletic director here (Scott Woodward), the sky’s the limit.”

The pay was going be good, too, not that Schmidt starved making $339,000 at OU, a figure that ranked 15th nationally, according to USA Today’s database. (It was third in the Big 12 behind Texas’ Yancy McKnight and Oklahoma State’s Rob Glass at their reported $425,000).

“You know, it was something,” Schmidt said of salary considerations. “But more important, it was time for me.”

He’d had his squabbles through the years. Who in his position wouldn’t?

“I mean, families have problems,” he said. “There’s always gonna be young coaches who are moving up and trying to do things. But that’s part of managing a staff. You’ve got to work through that, and we did. That was never a factor.”

Neither, Schmidt insisted, was Stoops relinquishing command to Riley last summer.

“It was really hard,” Schmidt said of the day he informed Riley he was leaving. “He wanted to make it right. He handled it like he does everything else — the right way. I said, ‘Hey, I’ve made my decision.’ I knew in my mind it was the right thing.

“It was really tough facing him, with how good people at OU were to me. I didn’t want to play one against the other. I was either all in or I was out.”

For 19 seasons, Schmidt was all in with the Sooners. During our conversation he drifted from his first team meeting with Stoops, where players sat in folding chairs or on the floor, reported to OU’s dingy indoor workout facility and began puking after what Schmidt figured would be a light warm-up, to Baker Mayfield.

“A guy comes in that wants to play quarterback, a little overweight punk that comes in and frickin’ turns the whole thing,” Schmidt said teasingly. “I said, ‘Why are you so overweight?’ He said, ‘Man, I was getting killed at Tech. I had to have some meat on me.’ But he bought into the system and frickin’ worked his a$$ off.”

That went for more Sooners than it didn’t while Schmidt was at OU. That’s why it’ll be weird when he won’t be in their faces at 5 a.m. any longer, or stomping around the middle of their pregame warmup on Owen Field, blowing his whistle and rotating his arms like they might make him fly.

Now he’ll do all of that at Kyle Field. It will take some getting used to.

“Oklahoma has been nothing but good to us,” Schmidt said. “Raising my family in Oklahoma ... the administration there ... it’s just hard to explain.”

What did Stoops always say? Everything has its time. That explains it best.

“Oh, yeah,” Schmidt said. “You know, things change. People’s ways change. But it’s good. You know what I mean? It’s a different way to do things, a different conference. They’re all kids that want to win. You’ve just got to help show them that way.”
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018 12:58 pm 

Thanks for sharing this. I like his style (not trying to play one against the other to get a better deal, but being approached, getting an offer, giving it consideration and making a decision).

How novel in today's age.

Gig 'em
neAGle96 MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018 10:32 am 

Gig 'em
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018 10:54 am 

I believe...

But we have been showered with high expectations before.

But I am swilling the maroon koolaid on this deal... Gig 'em
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018 10:59 am 

This one's for you, Dad.

Link to Article
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> SEC Sports & Recruiting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: