The time now is 21 Aug 2018 8:25 am
Texas A&M @ kudzoo kittens 6pm espnu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018 8:57 pm 
Post subject: Texas A&M @ kudzoo kittens 6pm espnu
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

And I'm frustrated beyond measure with Hogg's defense (or lack thereof).
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018 8:57 pm 

I honestly don't understand why Kennedy called his last timeout when he did. Makes no sense. Then Williams should have taken a dribble and dunked that ball. This team is crazy.
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018 8:58 pm 
Post subject: Re: Texas A&M @ kudzoo kittens 6pm espnu

Goodson wrote:
hogg was fouled on that steal by the way.
AG 2000 MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018 9:31 pm 

Kennedy before the game: the key for us is to own the paint, get it into Tyler, and let him do his thing.

Collins: 4 field goal attempts

Tyler: 2 field goal attempts

d'oh!

The key to the game was so important you only got the guy two shots.
12thManMVP
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018 9:41 pm 

Some of that is on Tyler. Got stupid early fouls & didn't play much.

But, IMO, he doesn't command the ball down low. He doesn't work to get position on the block. Now, some of that may be the design of the O. But at some point you have to establish yourself as a force. Neither of our bigs do that regularly.

Ronnie '88
AGINAZ MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018 11:53 pm 

And the roller coaster ride continues...
aggieinjakartatown
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018 1:29 am 

AGINAZ wrote:
And the roller coaster ride continues...

yep

they forgot how to play as a "ranked" team

Think Think
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018 5:32 am 

AG 2000 wrote:
Kennedy before the game: the key for us is to own the paint, get it into Tyler, and let him do his thing.

Collins: 4 field goal attempts

Tyler: 2 field goal attempts

d'oh!

The key to the game was so important you only got the guy two shots.
this is my criticism of Kennedy and his offense. We keep playing our best players up top when they should be jockeying for position near the basket. Williams is jacking up threes when he has no business doing so. That is simply a turnover when he does so.

I said our perimeter shooting is what had us on a win streak and I still believe that. Without it we end up looking disjointed and lethargic.

And how does Hogg forget how to handle a ball?
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018 7:25 am 

Tyler had more than two attempts...but when fouled--and actually called fouls--they do not show up as attempts
AG 2000 MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018 10:39 am 

12thManMVP wrote:
Some of that is on Tyler. Got stupid early fouls & didn't play much.

But, IMO, he doesn't command the ball down low. He doesn't work to get position on the block. Now, some of that may be the design of the O. But at some point you have to establish yourself as a force. Neither of our bigs do that regularly.

Ronnie '88

Not sure I can agree with that.

1. Kennedy's offense (or what we are calling offense) has Tyler out on the perimeter a fair amount. How do you get position down low when your coach is calling plays requiring you to stand at the top of the arc?

2. Tyler works his tail off when he has the opportunity to get low post positioning. The passes rarely come. I think it's a mix of being poor entry passers and the team just giving up on it and flinging it around the perimeter for a three, etc.

We're going to be watching Tyler play pro ball somewhere next year wondering what the hell we were doing with him while he was here. The fundamentals are there.

And amen to Fanatic's comment on RW shooting threes. You're kicking off the break the other way whenever he does that. No shot discipline or understanding of good / bad shots.

I heard Kennedy talk once that he wants the bigs to shoot those to keep the defense honest. I couldn't believe he said that. To keep teams honest, you have to hit them at a fairly decent clip. Neither Davis nor Williams should be shooting those, and the defense is all too happy to give them those shots. Hell, they sag off of them when they're out there (Trocha too) hoping they'll take those. That's not keeping anyone honest.

And let's not even get started on the not going for the two for one late, or having a shot clock violation coming out of an extended video review by the officials. Is there anyone on that sideline that told the kids "hey, shot clock's at 15"?
TOAg MR Member
Site Admin

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018 3:50 pm 

I agree.

Davis spreads and seals as well as any big man his age. But any big man, no matter who he is, can only maintain that seal for a very short time. So the passing game from the point to the 45-angle and then down into the low block must be of precise timing and execution. IMO, this passing offense is often mis-timed while our entry passing from the 45-angle is often poor and maddeningly tentative. To be effective, the timing must be precise and the ball must move QUICKLY!

And again, what the h#ll is Davis doing up high setting a feckless ball screen EVER? That's just stupid! Get Bobby Williams to set that ball screen instead and then roll him and flash down the opposite side of the lane from Davis, who should ALWAYS be set up in the low block!

Did we EVER see Pop or Rudy T bring Olajuwon or Duncan up high and out of the low block? Heck no! Those centers were venomous in the low paint AT ALL TIMES! .... And the still-developing yet emerging Davis could also be so in the younger college game.

C'mon, the kid got TWO shots last night! Two! That is a catastrophic strategic failure!

ed
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018 7:39 pm 

TOAg wrote:
I agree.

Davis spreads and seals as well as any big man his age. But any big man, no matter who he is, can only maintain that seal for a very short time. So the passing game from the point to the 45-angle and then down into the low block must be of precise timing and execution. IMO, this passing offense is often mis-timed while our entry passing from the 45-angle is often poor and maddeningly tentative. To be effective, the timing must be precise and the ball must move QUICKLY!

And again, what the h#ll is Davis doing up high setting a feckless ball screen EVER? That's just stupid! Get Bobby Williams to set that ball screen instead and then roll him and flash down the opposite side of the lane from Davis, who should ALWAYS be set up in the low block!

Did we EVER see Pop or Rudy T bring Olajuwon or Duncan up high and out of the low block? Heck no! Those centers were venomous in the low paint AT ALL TIMES! .... And the still-developing yet emerging Davis could also be so in the younger college game.

C'mon, the kid got TWO shots last night! Two! That is a catastrophic strategic failure!

ed
this is what is eating at me. I have no idea what type of offense Kennedy is trying to employ. He has big men out of position and taking threes when they have no business doing so and Hogg handling the ball when he apparently covers them with butter before the game.

What happened after the review/timeout was absurd. It was as if Kennedy simply told them nothing or said just play street ball.

Again, without our perimeter shots falling we don't play well. If they fall then our bigs get easier shots close to the basket. But when they don't we seem to refuse to try and work the ball down low to our bigs and just keep them out at the top of the three point line to jack up threes just a few seconds into the shot clock.

If we see something similar Saturday I will have to question if kennedys health is far worse than what is being let on. Maybe the game stress is just too much.
TrueAggie
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018 9:16 pm 

Goodson wrote:

It's been half arse most of the year. Only when he is playing well on offense and shooting does he seem to play hard on defense. The same goes for Williams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: