The time now is 25 Jun 2018 1:24 am
Davis signs with agent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 20 May 2018 6:03 pm 
Post subject: Davis signs with agent
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Not sure if you guys saw this yet, but Davis has signed with an agent and will stay in the draft.
Mighty Kyle
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 20 May 2018 7:10 pm 

There is something rotten in our basketball program. These players leaving doesn’t make sense.
AG 2000 MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 20 May 2018 7:45 pm 

We're also losing Abdur-Rahim to Georgia.

In Billy we trust though....
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 20 May 2018 9:21 pm 
Post subject: Re: Davis signs with agent

AG 2000 wrote:

And there you go again.

The Rahim move is not what you want to make it. He is from
georgia and wanted to be closer to home. Add in that he is getting a bump in pay from Crean to come home to recruit in his home state, this is a no brainer.

The davis loss, yes, that is something to be concerned with. Rahim loss, is just something to use as an excuse to bash our coach.

And that is not to say that there may be problems. If gilder goes then we would be truly looking at a possible really bad season. But geesh, sometimes it is like a broken record around here. Some of you seem to think the powers that be keep kennedy just to get under your skin.
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 20 May 2018 10:27 pm 

Davis and Williams leaving definitely leaves a mark.

Sad
AG 2000 MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 20 May 2018 10:43 pm 

Aggie_Fanatic wrote:
AG 2000 wrote:

And there you go again.

The Rahim move is not what you want to make it. He is from
georgia and wanted to be closer to home. Add in that he is getting a bump in pay from Crean to come home to recruit in his home state, this is a no brainer.

The davis loss, yes, that is something to be concerned with. Rahim loss, is just something to use as an excuse to bash our coach.

And that is not to say that there may be problems. If gilder goes then we would be truly looking at a possible really bad season. But geesh, sometimes it is like a broken record around here. Some of you seem to think the powers that be keep kennedy just to get under your skin.

No, they keep him because he's good buddies with the right people, goes to church with the right people, the team's APR is great, and he has a disease that people feel sorry for him over.

I don't need to use Rahim's departure as an excuse to bash the guy, his results speak for themselves.

Some folks enjoy mediocrity and make excuses. Some people have a desire and drive to win. I'm in the latter, it's clear you're in the former.

We'll never win jack with Kennedy as coach. Hell, a FF appearance is a fantasy. Like one of our past ADs said, everyone just needs to adjust their expectations.

If you enjoy a half empty Reed, an occasional NCAA bid, and getting annihilated in the tourney when we get there, he's your guy.
Mighty Kyle
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 21 May 2018 6:57 am 

This sounds oddly similar to our baseball coach.

Quote:
an occasional NCAA bid, and getting annihilated in the tourney when we get there, he's your guy.
AG 2000 MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 21 May 2018 9:51 am 

Oh, and the other part of this on Tyler -

He's been worked out by several teams, and his camp has gotten guidance that he won't be drafted in the upcoming NBA draft.

He signed with an agent knowing full well his destination is Europe.

So his options were come back, play another year, work on his game under BK and co., or head halfway around the world to play in Europe. Keep in mind this was a kid who after the NCAA tourney talked about wanting to come back, win a championship, lead this team deeper into the tourney, etc.

Ask yourself why a kid who talked like that two months ago did a 180 and is headed thousands of miles away from his friends and family to play.

But yeah, on top of all the other player attrition, all the other coaching turnover, and now this, it's clear this program is definitely on its way up under BK Rolling Eyes
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 23 May 2018 12:25 am 

AG 2000 wrote:
Oh, and the other part of this on Tyler -

He's been worked out by several teams, and his camp has gotten guidance that he won't be drafted in the upcoming NBA draft.

He signed with an agent knowing full well his destination is Europe.

So his options were come back, play another year, work on his game under BK and co., or head halfway around the world to play in Europe. Keep in mind this was a kid who after the NCAA tourney talked about wanting to come back, win a championship, lead this team deeper into the tourney, etc.

Ask yourself why a kid who talked like that two months ago did a 180 and is headed thousands of miles away from his friends and family to play.

But yeah, on top of all the other player attrition, all the other coaching turnover, and now this, it's clear this program is definitely on its way up under BK Rolling Eyes
And again, there you go again. You use every opportunity to bash. WE get it. You hate kennedy. You are rehashing all the same old stuff every opportunity you get. And I personally am not a fan of kennedy's coaching. I thought he should have been replaced with a reassignment when we found out about his prognosis. But that is not what happened.

That said, we are where we are. And you and all your conspiracy theories about why he is still the coach do nothing for the program or the discussion. It is one thing to discuss how losing davis will hurt us. I get that. But childish, and yes, it is extremely childish, comments like "its clear the program is definitely on the way up with kenndy" make you sound immature at best. You are not discussing the current status of the program. You simply want to throw a tantrum. We get it. You have been doing this for a very long time. move on. grow up. do both.

And again, I thought kennedy should have been replaced way way back. But the fact is he is our coach. throwing tantrums on agtimes won't get him replaced. So I choose accept that and deal with it. If I feel so misserble I cannot stop myself from bashing him every chance I get I will do something that actually may have a chance of helping to make a change and contact the athletic department.

If gilder goes with an agent then I can only imagine what it will do to your attitude towards kennedy. Now concerning next season's outlook, it would make our situation look dire indeed. That said, losing players to going pro is not going to cause anybody to make a change in our coaching situation, nor should it. But it may very well cause us to have a very bad season next year which could get you exactly what you want.
TrueAggie
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 9:36 am 

Davis is the smartest kid on the team. He signing and knowing his NBA prospects are small just goes to show he doesn't want to play for this team another year. The crap that happened this past year and now the entire band breaking up says more than we need to know.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 5:58 pm 

...or he saw that there was demand in the European league(s) for a talent such as him. They probably start out in the $750,00 range to $1.5 million.

Maybe those workouts convinced him that after college, he was simply not going to be drafted by the NBA. A nice pay year vs. waiting a year to go pro and get the same salary if not injured...maybe that just didn't look as good.

So maybe Denmark doesn't stink as much as some on here wish to think... Think

I agree, True, maybe he was the smartest kid on the team. He got himself in shape to be good enough for a good paying job, went through the process to see where the best landing spots may be, hopefully hired good representation and made the call. Gig 'em
12thManMVP
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 6:29 pm 

You can get high on the Denmark smell. Big Grin

Ronnie '88
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018 6:40 pm 

Once again, Dad shoots ... and scores.

Gig 'em
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018 12:28 am 

TrueAggie wrote:
Davis is the smartest kid on the team. He signing and knowing his NBA prospects are small just goes to show he doesn't want to play for this team another year. The crap that happened this past year and now the entire band breaking up says more than we need to know.
so you assume gilder is an idiot? To keep your anti kennedy narrative from falling apart you must believe this.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018 12:56 pm 

Gilder may have heard something different from the NBA.

I dunno and have no idea.

But could he have heard that another year and if he improves here and there, he has a real shot? Maybe he likes at the least, the Carusso Way over the Denmark Method?

You had a solid group of kids recruited by coaches that are HCs elsewhere. Their hard off-season work and dreams May Have/Could Have been derailed by a couple of kids weaknesses off the court.

Any way, huge disappointment. Sometimes it is better to move on. Especially if you figure out how to do it and WIN.

Maybe they all have charted these waters...and not blame any fan perceived toxicity?

Maybe not...
TrueAggie
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018 2:59 pm 

Aggie_Fanatic wrote:
TrueAggie wrote:
so you assume gilder is an idiot? To keep your anti kennedy narrative from falling apart you must believe this.

Never said that, but Gilder couldn't even play in Europe. He may have looked and spoken to people and realized his option is to find a desk job or stay.
TrueAggie
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018 3:05 pm 

Agdad78 wrote:
...or he saw that there was demand in the European league(s) for a talent such as him. They probably start out in the $750,00 range to $1.5 million.

Where did you get that from? Not even close. Only the top of the top in all of Europe make over $1 million. After that the pay scale drops quickly. The bottom players trying to prove themselves make about $3000 a month. The long term quality players that have proven themselves start making the 6 figure numbers....which of course isn't bad if you play for 7-10 years.

FYI. Learn a bit about how Europe basketball works.

Link to Article
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018 9:43 pm 

I learned a bit...interesting article and perspective. Thanks, True...

I was talking to a lawyer with just a bit of knowledge on this through his brother who is an agent of several guys playing over there. He is not agent to Davis, however, and does not know his situation...but knows his style of play.

And yes, it greatly depends on who wants you and where you end up.

Kinda scary to me...
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018 10:27 pm 

TrueAggie wrote:
Aggie_Fanatic wrote:
TrueAggie wrote:

Never said that, but Gilder couldn't even play in Europe. He may have looked and spoken to people and realized his option is to find a desk job or stay.
Yes you did. Your statement about davis' decision implied that those who chose to stay were dumb. Davis being smart chose to leave. Gilder being stupid chose to stay. So either you think gilder is stupid or your narrative falls apart.

And your premise about the whole team breaking apart is absurd as well since you conveniently ignore the facts that don't fit your narrative. Williams and Hogg were gone at the end of this year. That was being talked about at the beginning of the year. Davis was the one that was up in the air. Again, I know it does not fit your anti-kennedy narrative to deal with those facts, but they are facts.

I could do the same with Gilder's choice to stay if I wanted. I could make some absurd claim that Gilder was so smart he saw what a great program we have and how things were on track for a great season, so he decided to stay. Of course that would be a silly statement to make as we really don't know why he chose to stay. But it is likely he chose to stay because doing so helped him more than leaving. Just as Davis likely saw that going pro in Europe was his best route for his career as staying another year would not help his stock in the nba.

Who knows what will happen concerning Kennedy next season. We could be pretty good or we could be mediocre to poor. I am not a big Kennedy fan. But making crazy comments about how players like Davis are so smart they know they should leave because of how bad Kennedy is are absurd.
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018 10:38 pm 

And I get the frustration with kennedy. I am there. Criticize him for crazy game decisions. Criticize him for bad game plans. But come on man, davis leaving is likely due to his career enhancement more than what he thinks the team will be like next year. Davis has a low chance of playing in the nba right now, but could with some experience in Europe. And likely that would have been the case next year. So he may as well get started now.

Edit: And let me be clear I hope he makes the nba this year. It is possible, just not as likely as he would like. But if he makes it, more power to him. Maybe he believes he will make it.
TrueAggie
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018 3:19 pm 

Aggie_Fanatic wrote:
TrueAggie wrote:
Aggie_Fanatic wrote:
TrueAggie wrote:

Yes you did. Your statement about davis' decision implied that those who chose to stay were dumb.

No it doesn't. That is a very bad interpretation by adding something that wasn't there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Basketball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: