The time now is 20 Jul 2018 6:39 pm
A&M vs tt -new vet school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> SEC Sports & Recruiting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruffstuff's bro
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2018 5:13 pm 
Post subject: A&M vs tt -new vet school
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018...ary-school
userbob123
Redshirt

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2018 4:03 pm 

Interesting. I don't blame Amarillo for jumping into this deal and providing help with Tech to move forward. There is a huge difference between the culture of West Texas compared to East Texas. It is probably close to 600 miles from College Station to Amarillo. My guess is the folks in Amarillo have a lot more in common with the folks in Lubbock than with College Station or Houston. Any expansion of an educational institution in an area is a great draw from an economic development standpoint. I'm sure the folks in West Texas think their best interest from an economic development standpoint is better with Tech than A&M.
oklahomaagg MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2018 8:35 pm 

That is a tremendously large subsidy. Muy stupido.
goodags MR Member
Special Teamer

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018 6:19 pm 

I had this discussion last year with two in-laws who went to tech. The need is real and Aggieland hasn't been able to meet the need. My understanding from talking with a friend who is a vet is that the money is in small animal care, and less folks are going into large animal care because of the dollars. This leaves an aging cadre of old-school large animal vets. My in-laws were baffled at A&M's lack of support. Tech wants a large animal vet school and the thought is that the two would not really compete against each other. From my perspective, that is a close to "facts" as I can get.

Tech was among the schools that for a long time were able to successfully keep A&M from having a law school. Conjecture on my part, but I can imagine there are folks in power who have long memories. Still more conjecture would be a concern for scope creep. What starts out as a pure large animal program starts to offer classes in small animal care and the next thing you know people start to follow the money. Now we're competing for the same student pool.

Interesting to see how this plays out. I think Tech musters the political influence to get their school on their terms. It hasn't been that long since A&M went to the SEC and some may see this as a means to put us in our place.
SAH '97 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018 6:33 pm 

I have heard that most all kids from West Texas that go to Vet School tend to settle back in Dallas or other large urban areas and practice small animal as that is where the money is. The state tries to entice large animal folks to live in rural areas, but it has largely failed similar to trying to entice family practice physicians to practice in rural towns.

I am curious how kids that go to a large animal vet school will not just go practice small animal anyway if the enticements already in place are not working? I can't fathom they don't learn the same thing as at A&M.

This is an opportunity cost thing and the number of folks that want to live in rural Texas and practice large animal are not covering the need.
BlitzGd
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018 10:57 pm 

Quote:
The World Report and the U.S. News rank this university in the top five spot, thus qualifying for one of the best universities in the United States. Here students will be let in on the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences where they will be let in on many equine veterinary studies and specialties.

Here horses are treated twenty-four hours a day, having an emergency care facility that is opened nonstop. Thus, students who want to receive training and hands-on experience with equine veterinary medicine will certainly love what they’ll be let in on here.

For those how would like to attend this school, they can do it for a tuition of fourteen thousand three hundred and seventy-four dollars for students living in Texas and twenty-five thousand one hundred and seventy-four dollars for out of state students. For more info, students can go online at cvm.tamu.edu.

A&M perennially has a top 5 Vet program, and has been asking for years to expand it, and still has expanded it by using PUF money.

West Texas A&M is in Canyon, TX, which is akin to Sugarland or McAllen to Houston or Dallas, and the System has been working to expand its facilities and programs there for years.

Bottom line it comes down to two simple things: Money to earn a living, which the risks outweigh the benefits for large animal vets, and if one has a prize or beloved animal, are you going to call an Aggie or someone from Tech, whose claim to fame is, they couldn’t get into A&M or tu? Heck, Tech isn’t even a Tier One university, despite its claims...
Aggie 93 MR Member
Special Teamer

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018 11:16 pm 

goodags has most of it. There is the additional issue that A&M has reserved X number of slots for large animal vets for many years. There are requiremnts to practice for X years in a large animal practice. But unfortunately, most go after the money immediately after that.

Increasing the number of large animal vet "slots" by having a whole school for large animal vets will likely help. (There is a nationwide deficit of large animal vets) But I suspect that most will continue to meet the minimum requirements and then follow the money.

The politics, I have no idea about. The Vet situation - I'm quite familiar with.
oklahomaagg MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2018 8:40 am 

I don’t have an issue with Tech getting the school. Just with Amarillo paying that much money.
And I can understand kids wanting to go there and not A&M or tu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> SEC Sports & Recruiting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: