We have another knucklehead - "it was jock itch"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drey00
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017 9:01 pm 
Post subject: We have another knucklehead - "it was jock itch"
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

IF he exposed himself to two different tutors, he should be tossed out of A&M. Football player or not. It sounds like he's got a serious issue and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my kids.
Jarrin' Jay MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017 10:24 pm 

He should already be gone. I'd rather a player get busted for weed or an unlicensed loaded handgun in their car. He needs to be dismissed from the team, the U can decide whether or not he can still be a regular student if he wants to be...

The jock itch story is so lame and laughable I can't believe that was even put out as an excuse.
ruffstuff's bro
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017 10:29 pm 

The press will eat this up if he is allowed to stay on the team....a PR nightmare
AgBeliever
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017 11:01 pm 
Post subject: Re: We have another knucklehead - "it was jock itch&quo

Jarrin' Jay wrote:
He should already be gone. I'd rather a player get busted for weed or an unlicensed loaded handgun in their car. He needs to be dismissed from the team, the U can decide whether or not he can still be a regular student if he wants to be...

The jock itch story is so lame and laughable I can't believe that was even put out as an excuse.

It is lame.

And Sumlin is embarrassing himself by reinstating this pervert.

It's doesn't matter though. Both will be gone in 2018. Book it.
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017 11:11 pm 

drey00 wrote:
IF he exposed himself to two different tutors, he should be tossed out of A&M. Football player or not. It sounds like he's got a serious issue and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my kids.

This is so true. If the story is correct as detailed in the link then you must be concerned that in the future it may escalate. And yes, the kid needs help.
SA DD 77
All American

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 4:55 am 
Post subject: Re: We have another knucklehead - "it was jock itch&

Agalyst wrote:
Aggie_Fanatic wrote:
In the end, jock itch is a flimsy excuse, at best, for what was described.

Sounds like he was not prepared to be confronted and came up with a rash explanation.

I see what you did there.
Jarrin' Jay MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 8:28 am 

AgBeliever wrote:
Jarrin' Jay wrote:

It is lame.

He hasn't been reinstated that I know if. He will likely never be heard from again... suspended and then just quietly gone altogether...
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 9:41 am 

OK, I'm admitting up-front that some of my comments will most likely be met with jeers, maybe even some condescension, but the BZ article – as it is portrayed – needs further investigation, at least from my Aggie soul’s perception. You may find some of my comments as possibly unfavorable, but I cannot hide from how I feel. In no particular order:

• My first-blush reaction is to join the "Flat Forehead Society" and say to Kirk Merritt, "WTF, Dude?!" Seriously? While I can't quote specific section and page, I know this type of behavior is covered in the player conduct manual.

• Point being: Kirk Merritt knows better than this. Rolling Eyes Shame on you

• So, this all happened last fall, and Merritt was suspended immediately. In fact, he endured more than a slap on the wrist; his suspension was several months long – October to February – with the very last element occurring in his exclusion from the Spring Game just last week. What’s more, the official review of his case was through the University’s Student Life Conduct Conference process, completely separate from the Athletic Department. The AD was simply waiting to take its lead and direction from the University at large.

• Point being: don't sell Merritt’s penance short. It was legit in scope and relative to the "crime."

• This all happened last fall, but Brent Z portrays it as if it just happened. More to the point, he published this right after the Spring Game when there is very little said of and about the football program as it goes into its summer hibernation from press and media. What’s more, a shortened version of the article was published on April 8, but then a fuller draft of it was re-published on April 13.

• Point being: Why?... why now? Why twice? Why bring up “dirt” about the program and leave a sustained smear on it when there’s nary a chance for any kind of counter information or news? I’m not advocating the notion of “burying this news,” but this doubled-up timeline of things is punitive in nature. BZ (or perhaps his editor) took a swing at Sumlin and when he didn’t get the response he desired, he swung again. Harder. Seriously? Something is fishy, real fishy about the timing of this. Think Not talking I used to defend Brent for his point-of-view and interest in Texas A&M, but no more. I’m done. AgDad78 should be pleased.

• The “crime:” Merritt exposed his genitalia to two women hired and entrusted with his tutoring. No more. None of the reports say that he touched his female tutors, much less “forced” himself on them. He just paraded “the Johnson” in a grossly inappropriate manner.

• Point being: this is NOT a Baylor situation. Not even close. Bringing up Baylor’s problems and superimposing them on this situation is wrong, completely wrong.

• The “excuse:” Merritt’s attorney trying to explain away Kirk’s behavior as jock itch would be laughable, if it weren’t so disgusting.

• Point being: It was stupid, just stupid. I’m like the puppy in the old RCA Victrola ad going, Really? Rolling Eyes

• Anyone remember Tate Pittman, blue–chip DL from Permian HS in 2003? We really needed his talent on Kyle Field back then, but like Merritt Tate Pittman exposed himself when he shouldn’t have. As I recall, he was in his vehicle in a parking lot and asked a female stranger to come over for a talk and to, um, see his surprise. I don’t recall the female’s response, other than to report it (as she should have done). This was also on the heels of Tate getting a DUI just prior to this incident, so he was released from his scholarship (as he should have been as it was Strike Two of an Egregious Kind).

• Point being: the DUI puts a whole ‘nuther level on Tate’s deal, but Merritt’s issue is certainly within the same genre of social no-nos. Tate’s case is not an exact precedent, but it’s close.

• Perhaps my most controversial point: the female student who was Merritt’s tutor and who was so stricken by the episode that she was bawling on the phone to her mother about it immediately following the incident. So stricken that she is now going to boycott all future Aggie athletics. I mean, seriously? Shocked

• Point being: We hold up Texas A&M as an institution of character, and within that definition I include the personal attributes of strength, fortitude, and conviction. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I believe. Now, I in no way am suggesting to excuse Kirk Merritt’s behavior, not at all. BUT, I would rather this young Aggie not be so emotionally fragile. Upset?... oh hell yes. But I would rather her be incensed, angry and furious even. Just not fragile. “Fragility” is just not synonymous with what I’ve come to know and value about the A&M Spirit.

Y’all know as much as I do that there are a$$-hats aplenty in this world, and Yes, some are even on the A&M campus and wear Aggie rings, sad to say. But part of the Aggie Spirit and experience is to fortify all that is good and right in this world and to embolden one’s self against such a$$-hats. Do the right thing and counter the bad folks out there, but don’t let them defeat you emotionally like that.

I realize that I must sound like Clayton Williams running for governor some nearly 30 yrs ago, but we cannot fully discuss this matter without at least addressing this side of the equation.

• Finally, back to BZ and the timing of his articles: Brent captured and published comments from one victim (the other refused to take her story public), yet he knows full well that the hands of A&M’s officials – whether Coach Kevin Sumlin, A&M President Michael Young, or A&M Dean of Student Life Anne Reber – are tied because of FERPA guidelines.

• Point being: Mighty Kyle is right – if this was perpetrated by a non-athlete, it would simply be a statistic in the annals of student life. Not a good stat-line, mind you, but not a highly sensationalized one either.

BZ wants to be judge, jury, and executioner as he was for Fran, but this time he is trying to check-mate Kevin Sumlin to exit the program. Yet, this time, Brent is cheesily exposing a sob story from an aggrieved family who just seems so ready to “tell the world.” It just smacks of tactics straight out of the National Inquirer, and I am unsettled with that notion.

My final thought is on a much larger scale, something that goes beyond Aggieland and the A&M campus: sexual assault is a real issue, and I in no way mean to demean or dilute that. However, this whole story is filled with innuendo that at its core is trying to judge Kirk Merritt in the court of public opinion to find him “guilty” of a heinous crime. He’s not… not even close. He is guilty of very bad judgment. He has suffered the official penance of the university, which has been right and fair in my book, yet he is suffering a second time – and even more so now – in what I believe to be abject humiliation by the full broadcast of this story. Yes, he owns that. He should have known better then, but he clearly knows that now. I seriously doubt he will ever make that mistake again. So, for the innuendo to suggest that he is on a slippery slope to becoming a rapist because of this momentary lapse is completely and utterly wrong. Yet, that’s what the national dialog of the day would suggest.

I guess my point is this: where is the sense of grace for what Kirk Merritt has learned since his few moments of indiscretion last fall? Others in the athletic program pronounce him to have been a model student in all other aspects; he just pulled a boner of an error for a few moments.

Are we to treat him as a monstrous criminal because of that?
ruffstuff's bro
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 10:00 am 

"Pulled a boner" ? Shocked d'oh!
Agalyst
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 10:12 am 

On matters like these I'd like to think uniform color wouldn't cloud our view. If this same thing were happening in Austin my gut tells me this board would be overwhelming condemning of how it had been handled.
12thManMVP
All American

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 10:48 am 

Cotton79 wrote:

Cotton, many of the blowhards on this board have done just that.

Read sleazy BZ's story again. I'd like to see how the alleged victim "turned away" yet managed to "see" what movements he was doing w/his hands? What, did she turn her left eye away but keep the right eye watching? Great party trick there. And, if she was in Bright, why did she leave Bright instead of telling someone right then & there? Hmmmm....

Yes, Merritt was a dumbass for scratching in public, or in private as this incident indicates. But to somehow ascribe his screwup to Sumlin as 1 idiot poster here did is asinine. There is PERSONAL responsibility that has to begin at some point for these kids, and any other human being for that matter.

Ronnie '88
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 10:51 am 

ruffstuff's bro wrote:
"Pulled a boner" ? Shocked d'oh!

I seriously missed that. Although, I will admit that my mind leans toward double entendre, even subconsciously. Been doing that since I was 12, really. Rolling Eyes Wink
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 10:58 am 

Agalyst wrote:
On matters like these I'd like to think uniform color wouldn't cloud our view. If this same thing were happening in Austin my gut tells me this board would be overwhelming condemning of how it had been handled.

Agalyst, that's fair.

What I see and interpret here is that the university - not just Sumlin - followed a well-articulated process to a T in this matter. Now, we may disagree with certain steps within that process or the process as a whole, but it is a process that's been in place. What's more, it was the rules as outlined and promised to Kirk Merritt at the beginning of all this. And THAT is something owed to him, no more no less, regardless of whether we agree with it our not.

If the process needs to be changed, so be it. But we cannot go back and reinvent it midstream just to appease public outcry over the issue.

Kirk Merritt has done his penance and then some. Whether he remains on the team or not, well... I just don't know. The swell of public opinion can get ugly, even when it's wrong or over-the-top. Think Rolling Eyes
Agalyst
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 11:12 am 

I don't dispute your point about the procedures, Cotton. I guess my view is that when it comes to attending the university, administration has to follow a process. But playing football at A&M is a privilege and a little more should be expected of those on the front porch of the university. From a cost-benefit point-of-view, it's hard to imagine what the player in question could contribute that would be worth the PR black eye of having him ever return to the team. (Now if he were a fire-breathing MLB or sack-machine DE...I kid.)

If my daughter was a student working as a tutor for the team and this happened to her...well, not only would I want the offending member removed from the team...I'd probably want the offending member removed from the player.
AgBeliever
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 11:59 am 

12thManMVP wrote:
Cotton79 wrote:

Cotton, many of the blowhards on this board have done just that.

You know, we don't have to live up to the dumb jock stereotype.

If convicted in a court of law, this player will be in the sexual offender database for the rest of his life ... and rightly so.

And with two women, both of whom are excellent students and very credible witnesses, coming forward, I really doubt a jury is going to go for the moronic jock itch defense.

Last edited by AgBeliever on 14 Apr 2017 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
AgBeliever
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 12:05 pm 

Jarrin' Jay wrote:
AgBeliever wrote:
Jarrin' Jay wrote:

It is lame.

He hasn't been reinstated that I know if. He will likely never be heard from again... suspended and then just quietly gone altogether...

My mistake.

I confused the university clearing him of charges with Sumlin reinstating him.

The shame is on President Young.

I say this as a father who's daughter was molested in a karate studio, and the sifu gave us a lie about doing an investigation on the matter when in reality it was a farce.

Oh how I long for the days of old where all you needed was a rope and a tree to get justice.
CardinalandMaroon
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 12:08 pm 

Cotton79 wrote:
Point being: We hold up Texas A&M as an institution of character, and within that definition I include the personal attributes of strength, fortitude, and conviction. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I believe. Now, I in no way am suggesting to excuse Kirk Merritt’s behavior, not at all. BUT, I would rather this young Aggie not be so emotionally fragile. Upset?... oh hell yes. But I would rather her be incensed, angry and furious even. Just not fragile. “Fragility” is just not synonymous with what I’ve come to know and value about the A&M Spirit.

Y’all know as much as I do that there are a$$-hats aplenty in this world, and Yes, some are even on the A&M campus and wear Aggie rings, sad to say. But part of the Aggie Spirit and experience is to fortify all that is good and right in this world and to embolden one’s self against such a$$-hats. Do the right thing and counter the bad folks out there, but don’t let them defeat you emotionally like that.

I was with you for most, but not this. My daughter is a college sophomore, and dealing with the stress of being treated unfairly by someone who has incredible power and influence over her time at school and not feeling she has any recourse without also damaging her future prospects in her program. And that is just with her workplace treatment in a volunteer program within her department. Dealing with the more serious potential offense of sexual harrassment with a much more powerful department makes it hard for me to throw shade at the tutor for any feelings of helplessness.
Agalyst
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 12:14 pm 

^ Also, looking at this from the point-of-view of knowing nothing else happened is quite different from actually going through the experience and at the moment possibly wondering if she was about to be overpowered and raped. Given that I can very well see how it could be quite the traumatic experience.
AgBeliever
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 12:24 pm 

Went back and reread the article.

It says he was reinstated and allowed to participate in Spring practices.

Bad bull on Sumlin.
Jaybird83 MR Member
All American

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 12:59 pm 

He should have been dismissed.
Jarrin' Jay MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 1:00 pm 

AgBeliever wrote:
Went back and reread the article.

It says he was reinstated and allowed to participate in Spring practices.

Bad bull on Sumlin.

Pretty poor.

I mean, if he played linebacker, OK then........... Laughing
Mighty Kyle
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 6:46 pm 

He was cleared by the University after an investigation. If sumlin kicks him out doesnt that open the program to a law suit?
drey00
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 7:30 pm 

I would have had more leniency if he had been a man about it, asked for forgiveness, and checked himself into some counseling program.

But the fact that he doubled down with this ridiculous defense just pisses me off. He should have been tossed out of school. This isn't a case where there is a fog of alcohol and drugs...this is a clear cut case.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
12thManMVP
All American

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 8:21 pm 

drey00 wrote:
I would have had more leniency if he had been a man about it, asked for forgiveness, and checked himself into some counseling program.

But the fact that he doubled down with this ridiculous defense just pisses me off. He should have been tossed out of school. This isn't a case where there is a fog of alcohol and drugs...this is a clear cut case.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Is there a counseling program for jock itch?

Have you checked his balls up close to determine it's a clear cut case?

The thrones some of you sit on must be really nice. Rolling Eyes

Ronnie '88
ohioag67
All Conference

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017 9:09 pm 

Mighty Kyle wrote:
He was cleared by the University after an investigation. If sumlin kicks him out doesnt that open the program to a law suit?

Good question.
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017 12:01 am 

Mighty Kyle wrote:

Thanks, MK, because that is precisely my point.

We can dislike "the process" all we want, but it evidently has been executed exactly as outlined. And Merritt has done everything asked of him. As much as the rights and protections of the women in this story are being advocated, so must his.

I know this presents a wicked conundrum, and the A&M administration and AD must figure it out. Indeed, it is haunted by the interference of "public opinion run a muck," which was stirred up by BZ's article BIG TIME. I don't mean to belittle the aggrieved family - or the feelings and sensibilities of anyone else - but their anger and angst should be against the process at Texas A&M as much as it is against Kirk Merritt.

Whether Merritt stays or goes, I hope he will learn of stern and punishing message about how actions can take on an evil existence that simply cannot be imagined at the outset.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: