Merritt no longer with A&M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty Kyle
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 2:28 pm 
Post subject: Merritt no longer with A&M
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Link to Article

Good now we can move on and complain about water coolers or some such.
74animalA
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 3:00 pm 

Good Call. No room for those kinds of distractions.

Chances are if you can't focus on the task (say schoolwork) at hand, you don't have the discipline to focus on being a good player/teammate.
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 3:52 pm 

No mention of when the court date will be on the indent exposure charges ...
rhennessy
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 7:18 pm 

This loss may be significant, but the real loss is this young man's. Too bad he didn't behave himself.
34blast MR Member
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 10:54 pm 

This is one of those things we just don't know all the details. On one hand, this was a terrible thing to do, but if he was truly repentant, no second chance at all? These guys are young and do dumb crap. Remember Peyton manning thinking it was funny to push his butt into his female trainers face? Merritt wasn't sexually assaulting and probably thought he was doing something funny. I never thought to do anything like this ever, but I did moon a few people when young and we thought that was funny.

On the other hand, it might be best to leave him off the team and set the example that the Aggie Football team and university will not tolerate this kind of behavior.
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 11:58 pm 

That's been my thought as well, 34. It frankly saddened me that a number of folks here were willing to jump to definitive judgment before due process had been given its opportunity to provide definitive findings.
cj774 MR Member
All American

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017 12:04 am 

I think this is more of the lingering effects that the issues surrounding Baylor is having on college football. Even though this issue is no where near the level of Baylor (again if true), in this current environment probably not worth the political firestorm that it would be heaped on top of the pressure the current coaching staff probably feels right now to perform.

Hope he can rebuild his life and learn this very hard life lesson.
Cotton79
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017 11:11 am 
Post subject: Re: Merritt no longer with A&M

34blast wrote:
This is one of those things we just don't know all the details. On one hand, this was a terrible thing to do, but if he was truly repentant, no second chance at all? These guys are young and do dumb crap. Remember Peyton manning thinking it was funny to push his butt into his female trainers face? Merritt wasn't sexually assaulting and probably thought he was doing something funny. I never thought to do anything like this ever, but I did moon a few people when young and we thought that was funny.

On the other hand, it might be best to leave him off the team and set the example that the Aggie Football team and university will not tolerate this kind of behavior.

My thought, too, 34blast. I'm not condoning Kirk Merritt's behavior, but our society has become so brittle and fragile - and fickle - that it has squeezed out any sense of grace of forgiveness. There is an epidemic of "absolutism" in just about everything nowadays... sports, politics, business, community. It's as if we no longer allow folks to learn from errors; instead, just don't "error" in the first place.

Yet, I learned a long time ago that I am (as I believe we all are) a sinner, and the basic definition of "sin" is to err, to veer from God's Word. Absolutely, Merritt veered from one of the key tenets I know in faith - Love your neighbor as you love yourself (sometimes thought of as "do unto others as you would have them do unto you") - but in this whole episode we have discarded any sense of grace or any opportunity for forgiveness.

That fact saddens me as much of Kirk's original actions. Sad
CardinalandMaroon
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017 4:57 pm 

Albeit from a distance, I do believe Sumlin is a man of character and was comfortable that he would make the right decision based on his understanding of the situation. I feel surer in my belief.

We are too much of a "Veruca Salt" culture, and need to learn and practice patience. Things sometimes take time.
aggieinjakartatown
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017 7:22 pm 

just focus football
Sk1ppy83
Redshirt

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017 8:07 pm 

I think that there was not option for the program to take this option. With the black cloud of a program ignoring & hiding criminal sexual acts just up HWY 6.... I am sure the University did not want that kind of cloud hanging over the school we think so grand....the University had to take decisive action that showed they would not accept nor try to cover up that kind of conduct.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017 5:19 am 

As stated by 34, we don't know all the facts. So all I can do is go with sumlin's judgement on this. Whatever the facts may be, sumlin deemed that Merritt should be dismissed. He has my support. i am still a bit interested in how this plays out in the courts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: