The time now is 13 Dec 2017 6:10 am
Futball at Kyle Field in July?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 7:53 am 
Post subject: Futball at Kyle Field in July?
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Quote:
Two of England's best soccer teams could be playing in College Station this summer. Kyle Field, the massive home of Texas A&M's football team, is vying to host an exhibition between Manchester City and Manchester United. The friendly between the two English Premier League teams is looking for a venue on July 20. A&M senior associate athletic director Kevin Hurley said the 102,733-seat home of the Aggies has been in talks to bring the game to Kyle Field. Hurley said hosting an event between the two soccer teams with passionate fan bases does nothing but increase A&M's exposure worldwide. "We firmly believe Texas A&M is a world-class university, so you're bringing world-class Premier League soccer.

Aren't the football markings painted on the field...(Ignorance meter high)... Big Grin
Link to Article
BlitzGd
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 8:53 am 

Painted before each and every game. The paint is biodegradable, more or less acrylic... They also do some periodic painting during the offseason.

I mean it is not like the 80'sand 90's when it was Astroturf. Even then it was painted on...

Though I will admit, July 20th? How about Reliant or Jerryworld, some place, you know, with A/C. We are talking about soccer players here, not the most heat resilient of folk...
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 10:44 am 

Ha! Ha! Ha!... after watching my son playing HS soccer and be a team captain, I've come to enjoy the sport and recognize its nuances. BUT, this idea made me laugh-out-loud: English soccer players playing a 90 min full match on "the pitch" of Kyle Field in the middle of summer. But:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!! Shocked Laughing

I know, I know: those soccer fellas are in terrific shape. In fact, pound for pound their cardiovasular system is superior to football players really (most of them, that is). But running the collective equivalent of 5-7 miles over a 90 minute period at full sprint in the middle of a hot, humid east Texas day will suck the ever-livin' life out of you. Seriously.

I'm sorry: that just ain't smart. I don't care how good of shape you're in. Rolling Eyes

Don't get me wrong: I would love to see an exhibition of "Man-U" vs Manchester City. Indeed, these are BIG-TIME soccer programs, replete with worldwide following, some of the biggest in the world, really. So, yeah, the exposure for Texas A&M would be huge. But playing an exhibition in July just ain't smart. Shame on you The English clubs have no idea of what they're getting into.
ruffstuff's bro
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 10:51 am 
Post subject: Re: Futball at Kyle Field in July?

Cotton79 wrote:
Ha! Ha! Ha!... after watching my son playing HS soccer and be a team captain, I've come to enjoy the sport and recognize its nuances. BUT, this idea made me laugh-out-loud: English soccer players playing a 90 min full match on "the pitch" of Kyle Field in the middle of summer. But:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!! Shocked Laughing

I know, I know: those soccer fellas are in terrific shape. In fact, pound for pound their cardiovasular system is superior to football players really (most of them, that is). But running the collective equivalent of 5-7 miles over a 90 minute period at full sprint in the middle of a hot, humid east Texas day will suck the ever-livin' life out of you. Seriously.

I'm sorry: that just ain't smart. I don't care how good of shape you're in. Rolling Eyes

Don't get me wrong: I would love to see an exhibition of "Man-U" vs Manchester City. Indeed, these are BIG-TIME soccer programs, replete with worldwide following, some of the biggest in the world, really. So, yeah, the exposure for Texas A&M would be huge. But playing an exhibition in July just ain't smart. Shame on you The English clubs have no idea of what they're getting into.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/28075216
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 11:05 am 

Exactly, ruffstuff's bro! That article refers to additional 3-min "heat breaks" in the halves of summer soccer in Brazil when the temp was 32 degrees C... which translates to 89.6 F. (That's the perfect temperature for tempering dark chocolate, btw, but I digress! Wink )

What's going to happen when they get into a late July east Texas summer with temps aroung 95-98 and dew points approaching 75 or so? Those are conditions where the body cannot expel internal heat fast enough.

This is a dangerous proposition, IMO. Shocked
TAMU1991
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 11:21 am 

I would imagine it would be played at night. While still hot, there won't be the sun beating down on you.

The pitch to the players is early training for the 2022 World Cup.

Big Grin
ruffstuff's bro
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 11:48 am 

I never knew they could take "breaks" during a game....first time I saw it was in the World Cup that year...there is a local mex. restaurant I frequent way too much and was amazed at the both the crowd it drew in and how the restaurant " help" stopped everything to watch Mexico play
AGINAZ MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 12:40 pm 

In AZ we allow water breaks (1 3-minute break per half) when it gets over 90 degrees. If it gets over 110, we call the game.

at 109 we play!

Whistle
Jarrin' Jay MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 12:54 pm 

At the professional level most players (excluding the GK) will run 6 - 7 miles during a game, roughly 3 at a full sprint. As such, with temps over 90 F there will usually be a 1-2 minute break 25 minutes into the half just to rehydrate and cool down. Strictly a precautionary measure, especially important due to the limited substitutions and continual play. Smart to do at the amateur level as well. Clock keeps running, just adds to stoppage time.

As far as a Manchester game at Kyle Field, doubtful it would happen. They can play in Houston or Dallas and draw 100K, that will not happen in BCS at Kyle Field. Also, a full size FIFA regulation field is 120 yards long and usually at least 70 yards wide, though for an exhibition game it can be anything above the minimum, but that is still larger than an American football field. So, length would not be a problem, width would be.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 1:15 pm 

Not so fast there, jay...

The largest attended event held in Reliant was a 2013 George Straight tour date at 80,020 people. My guess is there were a lot of seats on the field area...

Remember also that our 12th man chief is not an Aggie. But he was over the Houston Rodeo. He knows the people and strings to yank. I am only saying we would have some insight and knowledge when competing with that crowd. We are a bit more than just good ole boys in the negotiating...
BlitzGd
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 2:03 pm 

Jay, you are misinformed:

Quote:
The entire playing field should be within the following dimensions: Standard–> Touch line (length): 90 m (100 yd) to 120 m (130 yd); Goal line (width) : 45 m (50 yd) to 90 m (100 yd) International matches –> Touch line (length): 100 m (110 yd) to 110 m (120 yd); Goal line (width) : 64 m (70 yd) to 75 m (80 yd)

Kyle Field is the largest capacity in Texas. Reliant actually has less room between the bleachers than Kyle, and it meets international standards. For an exhibition game it can literally be on ANY size field that both teams agree upon. The Tournament may have field expectations though.
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 4:15 pm 
Post subject: Re: Futball at Kyle Field in July?

AGINAZ wrote:
In AZ we allow water breaks (1 3-minute break per half) when it gets over 90 degrees. If it gets over 110, we call the game.

at 109 we play!

Whistle

YEAH....BUT IT IS 'DRY" HEAT.... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
goodags MR Member
Special Teamer

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017 6:25 pm 

Maybe it's just a "warm up" for the World Cup in Qatar Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: