The time now is 23 Apr 2018 2:55 am
Have you Aggies poached our S&C Coach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> SEC Sports & Recruiting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
userbob123
Redshirt

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 11:14 am 
Post subject: Have you Aggies poached our S&C Coach?
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Rumors have been swirling for days about A&M hiring our S&C coach. I think it is a done deal. At least, several of our guys are reporting it as a done deal.

If, true I think you guys got a really good one. I just wouldn't want to be one of your players who doesn't like to work. He is not one of the nice guys.

Jerry Schmidt was brought in by Bob Stoops back in 1998. Schmidt and Stoops were on Spurrier's Florida staff together and Bob brought him to OU. Schmidt has a pretty good resume. He was the S&C coach on staffs that won NCs at ND, Florida and OU. He is originally from Nebraska and I think he got all of his training back in Tom Osborn's days.

In his 18 years at OU the biggest knock on him was his tendency to not allow kids enough time to get up to his standards. In his early days, he was credited by some of our fans with running off our OL types. I wasn't one of those fans. I credited that problem to Mark Mangino's coaching style. Both Schmidt and Mangino were hard-a$$ types whose motto were take no prisoners. I would not have wanted to be an OL under these two.

Anyway, good luck with him. I'm not upset with him for leaving. Eighteen years at one school is a long time. Plus, I think we have his replacement on our current staff. If not, then I think we will be able to replace him pretty easily.
AGINAZ MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 12:29 pm 

Rumors are true.

Thank you!

Cool
KMRing
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 12:45 pm 

Funny to hear that about Mangino...doesn't he weigh 400 pounds? Man, I'm no Mr. Olympia, but at 57 I can still get in a stance and demo everything I need to teach, both on the field and in the weight room.

Walk your talk.....gets you a lot more respect from your players.
Amador
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 2:53 pm 
Post subject: Re: Have you Aggies poached our S&C Coach?

[quote="KMRing"at 57 I can still get in a stance and demo everything I need to teach, both on the field and in the weight room.[/quote]

Think

But ... the real question is ... can you still get out of that stance?

Wink

Parents ... the worst thing to happen to youth sports.

Empty vessels make the most noise.
userbob123
Redshirt

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 3:36 pm 

KMRing wrote:
Funny to hear that about Mangino...doesn't he weigh 400 pounds? Man, I'm no Mr. Olympia, but at 57 I can still get in a stance and demo everything I need to teach, both on the field and in the weight room.

Walk your talk.....gets you a lot more respect from your players.

The sad thing about Mangino is that he was an outstanding coach. His problem at both OU and Kansas was the way he treated his players. Simply put, he was a tyrant.
AGINAZ MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 4:03 pm 

Quote:
The sad thing about Mangino is that he was an outstanding coach. His problem at both OU and Kansas was the way he treated his players. Simply put, he was a tyrant.

Part of being an "outstanding coach" is HOW you treat/motivate your players so No, he is not an outstanding coach. He is an a**^#&$ who coaches.
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 4:08 pm 

user:

Yes we did.

Cool

Consider it partial repayment for Kyler, Creed Humphrey and DaShaun White.

Wink
KMRing
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 4:47 pm 

Amador wrote:
[quote="KMRing"at 57 I can still get in a stance and demo everything I need to teach, both on the field and in the weight room.

Think

But ... the real question is ... can you still get out of that stance?

Wink[/quote]

Yep! Smile
userbob123
Redshirt

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 4:52 pm 

Goodson wrote:
user:

Yes we did.

Cool

Consider it partial repayment for Kyler, Creed Humphrey and DaShaun White.

Wink

Most of you post is accurate. The egregious error is including Kyler on that list. We didn't poach him, he came begging for a good place to play Very Happy

We aren't worried about Schmidt. We can replace him and save some money in the process. His salary at OU was $335,000/year. I don't know what A&M is going to pay him, but I bet it is over $650,000. He isn't worth that much money.

Shocked
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 5:15 pm 

^

You're right about Kyler to an extent. A committed player has to make a definitive decision to move that commitment to a landing spot where he is both wanted and will be accepted..

To a certain extent, that same principle holds true for transfers like Kyler ... and, yes, for Knight, Ford, Williams and Daimler who came our way from north of the Red River.
userbob123
Redshirt

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 10:08 pm 

Goodson wrote:
^

You're right about Kyler to an extent. A committed player has to make a definitive decision to move that commitment to a landing spot where he is both wanted and will be accepted..

To a certain extent, that same principle holds true for transfers like Kyler ... and, yes, for Knight, Ford, Williams and Daimler who came our way from north of the Red River.

I have always thought it was interesting that for some reason OU has had quite a few kids that transferred to A&M. With the exception of Kyler, I can't think of any other A&M player that transferred to OU. In the case of all of the above it was Texas kids wanting to go back home. It is no big deal either way. Over the years we have gone head to head with you guys for kids. I also suspect you guys win more of them than we do. It is hard to recruit kids from other states.

We do it pretty good. We have kids from 20 states and one foreign country on our current roster. I have always thought it interesting that FBS Texas teams rosters are close to 90% Texas kids. Meanwhile most of the other Power 5 teams recruit multiple states. Ohio State, Michigan are good examples. Ironically, Georgia mostly recruits Georgia. USC and UCLA are mostly California kids.
12thManMVP
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018 10:56 pm 

Well, Williams was a family deal as he had a kid down here & didn't want him to grow up w/o Dad in the picture. Knight still wanted to play & had a year left since he had graduated.

But it would follow you all get kids from here b/c we are a bit bigger than Oklahoma so we have more to choose from.

Ronnie '88
userbob123
Redshirt

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018 3:47 pm 

We hired our new S&C guy today. His name is Bennie Wylie and the former S&C coach for Mike Leach at Tech. After Leach was fired, Derek Dooley hired him as the S&C coach at Tennessee. Later he was hired by Mack Brown at Texas -- replacing Fat Maddog and was there for Mack's last three seasons.

So, I think this worked out very well for both schools. It is to bad you Aggies didn't take Mike Stoops off of our hands when you hired Schmidt. Very Happy Would have saved us a couple of days getting our new guy on board. Smile

You guys are happy and we are happy. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> SEC Sports & Recruiting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: