The time now is 22 Jul 2018 7:01 pm
Lack of communication according
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ruffstuff's bro
Hall of Fame


Joined: 15 Oct 2002
Posts: 3276

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018 7:48 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

To Hubenak

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/co...1428464900
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 15 Dec 2002
Posts: 28803
Location: College Station

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018 10:28 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

That whole thing was a big cluster @&$#*. Allen being obviously injured, sumlin playing him rather than start Jake, Murray throwing fits. Sumlin's hiding qb injuries then but talking about them in 2017. Wth? Inconsistent and yes, a lack of communication.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 19342
Location: San Antonio

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018 10:52 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Two things, ruffstuff's bro:

  • I found this downright unwatchable simply because of all the ads that the DMN loads into it. My Lord! d'oh! ... enough is enough. I tried reading it on my iPad, but it was inundated with pop-up ads. Too many times in trying to clear the ad, it would interpret even the lightest of my touches as a desire to see more of the ad. So, POOF!... VOILA! There I go again, back to the ads. And then it would happen again. And again. So, NO!... I'm not putting up with their bu**$h@t. I know they need the ad revenue, but the DMN (along with Gigem247) are becoming the worst about this tactic, about becoming downright piggish about it. It's the stock market adage all over: bulls may make money and bears may make money, but pigs get slaughtered. I'm not feeding their piggish selfishness at the DMN.
    Which brings us to #2:

  • Why re-hash old news from 2+ years ago when the involved players and coaches are no longer here or in the Aggie program? It's like we're on a sculling team, all of us in the boat pulling our oars in exact syncopation for the very same cause. But when we go retro like this and resurface bad heartburn moments from a prior regime and a prior lifetime of Aggie football, it's as if someone dead-sticks their oar in the water while the rest scull like mad. It's just so counter productive.

I don't mean to pick on you, but I just don't see this as valuable information for my Aggie reading bucket right now. Maybe others will chime in, but I'm done with this type of news, really. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Jarrin' Jay MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 03 Jul 2000
Posts: 15833
Location: Dallas, Texas,

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018 11:27 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Lack of communication? No.... maybe, but that wasn't the main problem.

Lack of judgement, leadership, accountability, maturity, humbleness, and intelligence on the part of Sumlin.

Gutless, arrogance, condescending, egotism, pride.. whatever. What I call it is something else.

That game at Ole Miss is where Sumlin HUBRIS was on full display, and the point at which I wanted him gone. Allen under-threw RSJ on a wide open pass play, maybe a long TD, on our first series, then proceeded to have a horrendous game as he was injured, probaly the worst game I have ever seen an A&M QB have. At one point he had missed something like 18 passes in a row and he could barely throw anything over 5 yards with any accuracy or velocity.

On the sideline stood Murray in full uniform, suspended. Why is he there and suited up if suspended? Sumlin and Spav just kept rolling Allen back out there with his injured shoulder with Hubenak standing there holding a clipboard. It would have been better to put ANY other player or pulled an A&M fan from the stands to put in at QB.

I spent a good amount of time and $ to attend that game, that doesn't necessitate a victory, and my enjoyment of a road trip does not hinge on the outcome of the game...... However it does hinge on a head coach being paid $5 million not being a total and complete **** to his QB, not putting the TEAM in the best position to win, not giving a s*** about all the A&M fans that traveled to support the team, and basically just throwing a game, a conference game, a division game, for who knows whatever reason.

It is absolutely unprecedented to have your top two QBs transfer within a week of each other, and speaks very loudly about the head coach. And all that coach would do is chew his gum and give snarky answers when asked about it, never owning up to any failings on his part, which were (and continued to be) legion. It's all good, #WRTS, DJ play another cool song at practice, maybe we can not get our teeth kicked in by LSU if we just TALK about being tough....

2015 was the beginning of the end, just wish we had pulled the trigger after 2016.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Jarrin' Jay MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 03 Jul 2000
Posts: 15833
Location: Dallas, Texas,

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018 11:37 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Cotton, I'll tell you why it is relevant. A football fan base that pays attention would have called the bluff on Sumlin after 2015 maybe, but definitely after 2016, and would not have laughed off or accepted trivial rationale or answers to the 2015 Ole Miss game or both Allen and Murray transferring after 2015 in the same week.

I sense a culture change at the top level and admin. with Fisher, likely falling in line behind him as he is a proven commodity and knows who he works for and answers to, but we got suckered with Sumlin and nobody was paying attention and holding him accountable.

The head coach at A&M doesn't work for the AD, he doesn't work for the President, he works for his players and he works for you and me. And when he does something like that in Oxford in 2015, that is something he should have been called on and held accountable for or at least to answer for, much less the resulting end of season QB transfer fiasco.... and due to our stupid contract we had to pay him a kings ransom when fired, a contract he didn't deserve.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 19342
Location: San Antonio

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018 11:11 am 
Post subject: Re: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Jarrin' Jay wrote:
Cotton, I'll tell you why it is relevant. A football fan base that pays attention would have called the bluff on Sumlin after 2015 maybe, but definitely after 2016, and would not have laughed off or accepted trivial rationale or answers to the 2015 Ole Miss game or both Allen and Murray transferring after 2015 in the same week.

I sense a culture change at the top level and admin. with Fisher, likely falling in line behind him as he is a proven commodity and knows who he works for and answers to, but we got suckered with Sumlin and nobody was paying attention and holding him accountable.

The head coach at A&M doesn't work for the AD, he doesn't work for the President, he works for his players and he works for you and me. And when he does something like that in Oxford in 2015, that is something he should have been called on and held accountable for or at least to answer for, much less the resulting end of season QB transfer fiasco.... and due to our stupid contract we had to pay him a kings ransom when fired, a contract he didn't deserve.

Jay,

I don't attend many games, but I was there in 2015 along with you in Oxford (beautiful campus, btw). And yeah, I saw the very same thing you did and wondered why Allen was playing so badly, but more than that I was wondering WHY we weren't putting in someone else at QB who could actually play as if he was healthy. Little did we know at the time that Kyler was suspended, and when Jake finally did come in -- waayyyy after the fat lady had sung, btw -- it was refreshing to see a pass that looked even remotely like a college level pass instead of a 2 yr old whiffing his toss to his daddy.

BUT, I just don't see the value of airing this story, particularly at this zenith moment of the Fisher-led Aggie football program. It's like putting a wart on that famous Farrah Fawcett poster that we all used to idolize. Why?

Now, I will concede this if it's your point: the George Santayana principle of "those who do not recall their history are doomed to repeat it." To a point, that is. I have offered the notion on these AgTimes boards for a long time now that the past 20 or so years of up-and-down journies on the football field have been more about us as a fanbase as anything else. What are we collectively willing to put up with? Truth is, we have not been a championship fan base and program. We have been championship wannabes, but not out-n-out championship caliber.

An analogy. I learned this in making my confections and also with the infamous "stall" in cooking a brisket low-and-slow on an offset cooker. THE TRANSITION POINT: the point at which the very last molecule in a mass catches up to the rest of the molecules (say, in temperature) so that the entire mass can then continue its rise in temperature. Otherwise, the mass "stalls" at a certain level and refuses to budge forward until the last molecule catches up. To wit: briskets tend to stall around 150-160 degrees as you wait for it to reach it terminal temp of 190-195 degrees to pull it off the cooker. My caramels stall at around 218-220 as I wait for them to reach their terminal temp of 248. The stall duration seems almost insufferable, particularly to those of us who are impatient.

    BTW, I had to learn this from my niece who was pursuing a PhD in chemistry at Colorado School of Mines ... I was too damn impatient on my own! Big Grin

To my point: I believe that we as the Aggie football program have been in a certain stall. To be sure, there are "molecules" of moments and attitudes among many Aggies that have been ready to move beyond the transition point; others not so much. BUT, as you suggest there is a culture change afoot, and I, too, believe that it is beginning to change. But, I don't think we could have cheated the chemistry of it all; we had to go through the stall in order to achieve our culture vision that we have today.

In short, it's a learning process. True, chemistry is far more exacting than human behavior, but the truth is that we have collectively made strides as a fanbase/program. We ARE building toward a championship-caliber program. If we step back and view it from a distance, we have made incredible strides in the past 25 years.

I just don't want us to taint our current focus and vision on the new regime by harkening back to some less-memorable moments of our history.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 16539
Location: Temple, TX

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018 8:21 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

This is what Jake says about writing the article:

Quote:


Out of all the football seasons I’ve played in my football career, I’d say the 2015 A&M season is the one that sticks out the most. I know I will get a lot of questions about this story. Why did you write this article? Why did you choose to write the article now? And so forth. I want to make this as clear as possible: This isn’t to bash anyone. It isn’t to put the blame all on one person or group of people. What happened that year was a domino effect of multiple things going wrong. You may wonder if I’m writing this because I’m upset with what happened that year or mad about how things were handled, but I'm not. I have no hard feelings toward anyone I ever crossed paths with in my time at Texas A&M. The main reason I'm writing this story is to help put it in the past. We are in a new era at Texas A&M, and we can’t keep wondering about and dwelling on what happened before. I hope that everyone will gain some understanding of what happened and then we can truly move on to bigger and better things.



Many threads in various Aggie websites will have posts mentioning this period of time. Still. And it has been pretty much nothing but speculation.

It hurts, but perhaps it will help put an end to these happenings and we can look to the future and have fun in the present.

It also details the problem in that Ole Miss game...

And it shows without a shadow of a doubt that the young OC was out of his league and that Kevin should not have allowed the kid to run the QBs and offense without getting involved much more...

And by the way, Kyler had two HRs this weekend for OU...
_________________
We can think all we want, we can suggest all we want, we can surmise all we want, we can prognosticate all we want, but ultimately, those boys have got to suit up and play the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 19342
Location: San Antonio

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018 9:56 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that quote, AgDad. I like - and very much approve - of Jake's stance on the matter: clear up the question once and for all and move on. Indeed, we do have better things to seek.

The journey continues...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Jarrin' Jay MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 03 Jul 2000
Posts: 15833
Location: Dallas, Texas,

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018 9:57 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

The entire Sumlin era after #2 left was a marginal clown show, that Ole Miss game just exposed it for all to see.

Hey, I didn't opine, write, or publish the article. TexAgs did with Jake Hubes. Probably didn't need to be done at all, it's in the past, let's move on.. I just get extremely irritated whenever that particular game is brought up.

We have upgraded substantially at HC and staff, though I think it could be a year or two before we see that play out on the field due to OL/LB/RB/(maybe DL) depth and quality issues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 15 Dec 2002
Posts: 28803
Location: College Station

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 12:07 am 
Post subject: Re: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Agdad78 wrote:
This is what Jake says about writing the article:

Quote:


Out of all the football seasons I’ve played in my football career, I’d say the 2015 A&M season is the one that sticks out the most. I know I will get a lot of questions about this story. Why did you write this article? Why did you choose to write the article now? And so forth. I want to make this as clear as possible: This isn’t to bash anyone. It isn’t to put the blame all on one person or group of people. What happened that year was a domino effect of multiple things going wrong. You may wonder if I’m writing this because I’m upset with what happened that year or mad about how things were handled, but I'm not. I have no hard feelings toward anyone I ever crossed paths with in my time at Texas A&M. The main reason I'm writing this story is to help put it in the past. We are in a new era at Texas A&M, and we can’t keep wondering about and dwelling on what happened before. I hope that everyone will gain some understanding of what happened and then we can truly move on to bigger and better things.



Many threads in various Aggie websites will have posts mentioning this period of time. Still. And it has been pretty much nothing but speculation.

It hurts, but perhaps it will help put an end to these happenings and we can look to the future and have fun in the present.

It also details the problem in that Ole Miss game...

And it shows without a shadow of a doubt that the young OC was out of his league and that Kevin should not have allowed the kid to run the QBs and offense without getting involved much more...

And by the way, Kyler had two HRs this weekend for OU...
Is kyler going to go pro baseball before he gets a chance to play football at ou?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01 Jul 2000
Posts: 26817
Location: Colleyville, TX

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 12:09 am 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Kyler needed to focus on baseball all along. If he's going to cash a professional sports paycheck, that's where it will come from.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 19342
Location: San Antonio

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 10:43 am 
Post subject: Re: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Jarrin' Jay wrote:
The entire Sumlin era after #2 left was a marginal clown show, that Ole Miss game just exposed it for all to see.

Hey, I didn't opine, write, or publish the article. TexAgs did with Jake Hubes. Probably didn't need to be done at all, it's in the past, let's move on.. I just get extremely irritated whenever that particular game is brought up.

We have upgraded substantially at HC and staff, though I think it could be a year or two before we see that play out on the field due to OL/LB/RB/(maybe DL) depth and quality issues.

Agreed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
argo MR Member
Hall of Fame


Joined: 10 Jan 2002
Posts: 1850
Location: Houston

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 11:14 am 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

My opinion is that Sumlin's biggest mistake was not the handling of the 2 QB's but not going hard after Stidham.
Allan and Murray were not the answers at QB. Both shown not to have what it takes mentally to be the guy. Trevor did fine his one year and if Sumlin could transition to Stidham he would most likely still be coaching here today.

Stidham was going to save either Sumlin or Gus their jobs.
Turned out to be Gus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
jamey MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 14 Dec 2001
Posts: 32707

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 12:07 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Sumlin just isn't a good manager, the detail guy you need at the HC job imo

I can think of a lot of mistakes that point to this but I'm pretty sure I pointed them all out at the time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
12thManMVP
Hall of Fame


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 1860
Location: Houston

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 12:15 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Sniff, sniff, I smell glue. Brick wall

Ronnie '88
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01 Jul 2000
Posts: 26817
Location: Colleyville, TX

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 2:18 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

^

Now that's funny right thar ... I don't care who you are.


Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
JAB MR Member
Site Admin


Joined: 17 Oct 2001
Posts: 7706

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 9:14 pm 
Post subject: Re: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

jamey wrote:
Sumlin just isn't a good manager, the detail guy you need at the HC job imo

I can think of a lot of mistakes that point to this but I'm pretty sure I pointed them all out at the time


He wasn't the worst hire in the past 20 years Wink
_________________
'If you’re not in the boat, get the heck out.’
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
jamey MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 14 Dec 2001
Posts: 32707

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 12:11 am 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

The sun will engulf the earth before we do worse than Fran
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail  
blk911 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 07 Oct 2002
Posts: 18436
Location: Just south of the Canadian Border; Erie Co.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 8:05 am 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

FOK!

I'm here to help you guys through your pain.

I found a Shaman in BoldAir, who does custom exorcisms for gashes in a person's past that BY ALL OUTWARD APPEARANCE (aka: reliving over and over and over and over again the part of history that are HISTORY...over and over and over and over...which are unable to be contextualized as the path to TODAY (read: JIMBO FISHER)...really, it is) SEEMINGLY NEVER FRIGGIN BECOME WHAT ALL THOSE EVENTS ARE:

THE PAST...which make TODAY...

TODAY.

This custom exorcism costs about half the price of the exorbitant sum some doled out to get to Oxford, around $2,700 each...

I can get one set up for this weekend...

You sleep on my couch, I have 5 of them. FWIW

POSTED: April 19, 2018
_________________
.

Dec. 1, 2017: The Day A&M Committed to Championship Football
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 16539
Location: Temple, TX

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 8:09 am 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

jamey, jamey, jamey...

Quote:
Oddball: Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Moriarty: Crap!



True, it is not Fri. the 13th, you didn't spill salt on the table, you didn't see a black cat and you didn't walk under a ladder.

But why tempt fate?... Laughing


"In Jimbo We Trust!"

There ya go...righteous and hopeful...
_________________
We can think all we want, we can suggest all we want, we can surmise all we want, we can prognosticate all we want, but ultimately, those boys have got to suit up and play the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 19342
Location: San Antonio

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 8:31 am 
Post subject: Re: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

blk911 wrote:
FOK!

I'm here to help you guys through your pain.

I found a Shaman in BoldAir, who does custom exorcisms for gashes in a person's past that BY ALL OUTWARD APPEARANCE (aka: reliving over and over and over and over again the part of history that are HISTORY...over and over and over and over...which are unable to be contextualized as the path to TODAY (read: JIMBO FISHER)...really, it is) SEEMINGLY NEVER FRIGGIN BECOME WHAT ALL THOSE EVENTS ARE:

THE PAST...which make TODAY...

TODAY.

This custom exorcism costs about half the price of the exorbitant sum some doled out to get to Oxford, around $2,700 each...

I can get one set up for this weekend...

You sleep on my couch, I have 5 of them. FWIW

POSTED: April 19, 2018

Brilliant, just brilliant!

That's better than a double java jolt in the morning. What a way to start the day! Big Grin

Hmmm... the Grand Saman of BoldAir... hmmm... I got images of Carnac the Magnificent strumming through my brain, but with a strange, long white beard. Hmmmm... Wink Cool Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 16539
Location: Temple, TX

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 8:37 am 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I don't like watching those types of stories. Sorcery has no place in my life.

So I have no idea of which you speak.

(I do get Carnac. I saw Johnny perform one of those on The Tonight Show when we lived in California live during taping (Did I just say that right?).

Went to his show several times, usually when my parents visited...
_________________
We can think all we want, we can suggest all we want, we can surmise all we want, we can prognosticate all we want, but ultimately, those boys have got to suit up and play the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
blk911 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 07 Oct 2002
Posts: 18436
Location: Just south of the Canadian Border; Erie Co.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 8:41 am 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

'78, Cotton was referencing this guy:


_________________
.

Dec. 1, 2017: The Day A&M Committed to Championship Football
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 16539
Location: Temple, TX

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 9:11 am 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Hmm, hard to tell. But he doesn't look too evil...
_________________
We can think all we want, we can suggest all we want, we can surmise all we want, we can prognosticate all we want, but ultimately, those boys have got to suit up and play the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
ruffstuff's bro
Hall of Fame


Joined: 15 Oct 2002
Posts: 3276

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 8:38 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/co...1428464900


https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/co...uarterback
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Rover
AgTimes Legend


Joined: 19 Oct 2001
Posts: 7774
Location: Riverside, California

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018 9:03 pm 
Post subject: Lack of communication according
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

So if you can't find anything negative to report on the Aggies after a fun filled weekend of old fat men trying to impersonate themselves and rock 'em sock 'em, excuse me I thought we were friends, ouch that hurt, Dang man, I'll see you after the game, kind of an intra-squad game in front of 49,000 live bodies, I guess you dig up an old story about a terrible handling of talent by a former coach to kinda sorta put some cloud over the fun.

I've said all that I will ever need to say about that mess, except to say that Thank God none of them work here or play here anymore.

I guess those Dallass papers didn't get the memo that we have a new head coach.

Such a shame to see such an well constructed hit piece go to waste.
_________________
Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of a bagpipe...anonymous

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits...Albert Einstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum