The time now is 23 May 2018 3:18 pm
Trouble with women's basketball program?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Other Aggie Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisherag70
All American

PostPosted: 03 May 2018 9:30 am 
Post subject: Trouble with women's basketball program?
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/womens_basket...e33a0.html

Gary Blair would have to feel bummed if these two girls follow through. If the team could fill a void at the post position with a Juco transfer, they would likely be in contention for a good run next year. If Dani and Anriel leave, that is not so much a chance. I noticed that the girls' visits mostly included final four teams (UConn, Miss St, S. Carolina, etc.). What keeps these teams from just stacking themselves with transfer talent developed from other programs and essentially playing an "all-star" team every year? I just wonder how well team chemistry is or if there is a staff member influencing these decisions. I can't imagine Blair being the cause of it. Your thoughts?
Mighty Kyle MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 03 May 2018 10:25 am 

Both are gone. Likely to be replaced by better players. We had five and four star transfers sitting out last year. They figure to play a huge role this year.
danny80 MR Member
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 03 May 2018 12:39 pm 

fisherag70,
I asked the same question in the Maroon Room a while back. It was said that Howard is looking for a broadcasting degree with her masters that we do not offer. I don't know why Dani is leaving. You would think they would both stay for a loaded team next year.

MK,
How do you find a better player than Howard at what she does? She is a complete beast rebounding and energizing the team. While we may have some good talent sitting out I doubt they could replace her. Dani, when she is on, is super but this last year she was very inconsistent so it may or may not hurt us. I know we have a good forward ready to take Kahlia's role & some good freshmen but they are still young & played very little this year.
BellCtyag85
Starter

PostPosted: 03 May 2018 1:02 pm 

^

Same here with regard to Howard. I hope one of the 4 or 5 stars can grown into what Anriel provided this past season.
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 03 May 2018 2:16 pm 

Quote:
Both are gone. Likely to be replaced by better players.

Think

That might be a stretch, considering that one was our second leading scorer who stretched defenses with her ability to drain three's ... and the other was our leading rebounder and energy defender.

Just sayin' ....
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 03 May 2018 10:37 pm 

I still hope that after looking around both decide to come back...may be too late, but I can still hope

Reportedly we have a McDonal's All American transfer that sat out this year ready to play the post...

If both of the players planning to transfer out were to change their minds, I think we would have a monster of a team

AS for replacing them with better players...I don't believe there are many better and more experienced players than these two anywhere in the country...much less ready to transfer or enroll here.

Personally, I hope they have a change of plans or change of heart, or whatever it taks to complete their careers playing at A&M

If not, I wish them the best and thank them for all that they have done for us and congratulate them for getting their degrees...
Micky MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 03 May 2018 11:11 pm 

Two five star McDonald's All Americans who transferred in and sat last year.

Ciera Johnson, 6-4

• Rated the No. 1 post player and No. 13 recruit in the 2016 recruiting class by ESPN HoopGurlz

• Averaged 4.0 points and 2.3 rebounds for Louisville in 2016-17, playing in all 37 games

• Five-star recruit who played in the McDonald’s All-American Game and the Jordan Brand Classic

2017-18 (Redshirt at Texas A&M) Attended Texas A&M and practiced with the women's basketball team, but sat out the season due to NCAA transfer rules

Aaliyah Wilson, 5-11

• Five-star recruit and two-time Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year out of Muskogee HS who played in the McDonald’s All-American Game and Jordan Brand Classic

• Averaged 4.8 points and 2.9 rebounds in 26 games off the bench for Arkansas in 2016-17

• Scored a season-high 20 points in Reed Arena against Texas A&M (Jan. 12)

2017-18 (Redshirt at Texas A&M) Attended Texas A&M and practiced with the women's basketball team, but sat out the season due to NCAA transfer rules
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 May 2018 6:19 am 

Just my opinion, but if you start taking visits and act like this you are already gone as far as being a team player is concerned. Even if they come back, the other players have checked out as far as being their teammates. This is not a matter like Koda Martin who is transferring to be with his dad, and his wife's dad, and we have other players who are just as good ready to fill his shoes.
fisherag70
All American

PostPosted: 04 May 2018 7:55 am 

The story on Danni was updated to indicate that she IS transferring (just did not reveal where) and that Anriel will likely be announcing her decision on her birthday (which is this weekend I believe). Maybe it was presumptious of me to indicate problems within the system, but I see the value in these two. This team was primed and ready to make a run next year, possibly final four or finals. Maybe these other girls will step up and the team can continue to get better. Blair is really good at what he does. I wish Danni and Anriel all the best moving forward.
BellCtyag85
Starter

PostPosted: 04 May 2018 8:21 am 

I had the same thoughts Fisherag. Whatever their motivation, they did leave it all on the court while they were here. I wish them the best also.

Gig 'em
Micky MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 May 2018 9:14 am 

Howard's reason is supposedly that she wants to get her Masters in a degree we don't offer -- sport's communication/journalism of some kind.

Have not heard a reason for Williams.
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 04 May 2018 9:39 am 

Having other players who can contribute in their absence is one thing. But you can bet your bottom dollar That UConn, ND, now MSU and others are not satisfied with having a core of contributors. They're stacking 'em 8-9-10 deep on the bench ... and looking to do even moreso.

I understand that you cannot control their desire to move if it gets them to a place where there's a degree program we don't have and they want. But I also understand the pull of being a part of a team in a particular place. The bond that exists on athletic teams almost defies description -- when the environment is what it should be.

Teammates aren't just teammates ... they're family. And there's a strong desire to stay together as long as possible and enjoy that bond for every moment of its worth.

That's what confuses -- and concerns -- me about these moves by two young ladies who could be a part of something very special here next season.

fisherag70
All American

PostPosted: 04 May 2018 11:52 am 
Post subject: Re: Trouble with women's basketball program?

Goodson wrote:

Teammates aren't just teammates ... they're family. And there's a strong desire to stay together as long as possible and enjoy that bond for every moment of its worth.

That's what confuses -- and concerns -- me about these moves by two young ladies who could be a part of something very special here next season.

This. Too many ego's? Chennedy Carter attracting too much attention? I love to watch her play, but she can be really chippy at times (even barking at Blair a time or two during time-outs). The team needed depth and losing these two will only take away two spots from that.
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 May 2018 6:34 pm 

Micky wrote:
Howard's reason is supposedly that she wants to get her Masters in a degree we don't offer -- sport's communication/journalism of some kind.

Have not heard a reason for Williams.

Micky...I could very well be mistaken about this and I certainly don't have the familiarity with the details of the rules like you do, but I thought I read somewhere when this graduate transfer began --or at least began becoming popular--that one of the "requirements" was for the student athlete to be seeking an advanced degree in and area NOT OFFERED by their undergraduate degree granting institution.

That being the case, the student might want a degree not offered by the school that granted them their undergrad degree...or they might shop around for a degree (of some interest to them) that is specifically NOT OFFERED by their first school specifically IN ORDER TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENT that such a degree is not available where they are. Ergo they "must" transfer to pursue the degree they want from elsewhere.

My point--if my understanding is correct--is that the transferring student athlete must be seeking (or at least be registering for) a degree not available where they were just to satisfy one of the primary conditions to allow such transfers.

It would be interesting to see a study detailing how many of these transferring student athletes actually complete their masters programs and receive the degree that 'allowed" them to qualify to transfer. Think
Micky MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 04 May 2018 9:55 pm 

Yes, I suppose someone looking to "get out" could use the excuse that they want a degree not offered at their current school -- in fact, they could do that regardless of whether that was a requirement for the transfer to be approved.

So, yes, I guess we really do not know if her desire to transfer has to do with the degree or some problem with team chemistry/Coach Blair.

For myself, I tend to naively assume the positive, so it had not occurred to me that she may just be looking for an excuse.

As for the new schools having a degree that the old school does not offer being a requirement for the transfer to be approved, I have not tried to research that.

But with so many graduate transfers happening between so many schools and across so many NCAA sports, I'd be surprised if that was a requirement.

Does A&M have a graduate degree that OU does not that allowed Trevor Knight to transfer?
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 May 2018 2:53 am 

Couldn't get access to NCAA Rule 14.6.1 but found some other articles like this one:

Link to Article

included therein was the following:

Quote:
So Wilson takes advantage of an NCAA rule adopted in 2006 that gives a transfer immediate eligibility if he has earned his degree and seeks a graduate degree in a major not offered by his current school.

During my search I also ran across the answers to some of my other questions above in the following:

Link to Article

In there, I found the following--which was pretty much what I expected--

Quote:
Did these student-athletes earn their graduate degree?

After two years, only one-quarter of the graduate transfers in football and one-third in men’s basketball had earned a graduate degree. Completion percentages were higher outside of those two sports, especially among women. Nearly 40% of the football players in this sample departed by the end of their first graduate term. Non-completers typically withdrew at the point when athletics eligibility was exhausted.
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 May 2018 6:58 am 

Most grad transfers do so for playing time. Then some so so because they want to try to get a championship. And some for a degree. But most for playing time, not a degree.

Last edited by Aggie_Fanatic on 05 May 2018 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Micky MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 May 2018 9:28 am 

Here is rule 14.6, the one in question (with my interpretations) (I added the bolded emphasis):

Quote:
14.6 Graduate Student/Post-baccalaureate Participation.

A student-athlete who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of the same institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree, a student-athlete who is enrolled and seeking a second baccalaureate or equivalent degree at the same institution, or a student-athlete who has graduated and is continuing as a fulltime student at the same institution while taking course work that would lead to the equivalent of another major or degree as defined and documented by the institution, may participate in intercollegiate athletics, provided the student has eligibility remaining and such participation occurs within the applicable five-year period set forth in Bylaw 12.8.

This is the basic rule that covers graduate students and says that even though they have graduated they can still play if they have eligibility left as long as they are enrolled as full time student in a graduate program or another baccalaureate program at the same university.

Here is the next sub-rule, 14.6.1 (the transfer exception):

Quote:

14.6.1 One-Time Transfer Exception. A graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10 and has eligibility remaining per Bylaw 12.8.

A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for this exception,
provided:

(a) The student fulfills the remaining conditions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10;

(b) The student has at least one season of competition remaining; and

(c) The student’s previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year.

Says that a graduate student can transfer and not have to sit out a year as long as they meet all the rules of 14.5.5.2.10 except for the first one (a) and they also have a full year of eligibility left (or more) and that they have not already singed a renewal of the financial aid at their old school

Finally here is rule 14.5.5.2.10, the one that allows transfer without having to sit out a year:

Quote:

14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception.

The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students, see Bylaw 14.6.1):

(a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men’s ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring.

(b) The student has not transferred previously from one four-year institution.

(c) At the time of transfer to the certifying institution the student would have been academically eligible had he or she remained at the institution from which the student transferred.

(d) If the student is transferring from an NCAA member institution, the student’s previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement.

So normally, the one time transfer exception is not available to baseball, basketball, football or men’s ice hockey players (sub-rule (a)) but the graduate transfer rule removes this exception, so they are eligible.

Plus, they have to be in good academic standing, have never transferred before, and be released by their school

I see no mention of the new school having a degree not offered by the old school.

These sections were all last revised in 2014, so maybe that was a rule at one time and is now gone.
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 May 2018 4:31 pm 

Thanks again, Micky.

Perhaps it was one time a requirement, but got lost in the reeds somewhere through time or removed--as you suggested--in the revision.

Regardless, thanks again. It is great to have an Ag we can count on to keep us straight--at least with regards to the rules Wink
Micky MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 May 2018 7:41 pm 

Thanks for the kind words.

I do enjoy trying to understand the rules and like researching, but I'm by no means a real expert -- just another fan.

When questions come up, I just try to provide links or quotes to the actual wording of the rules and my take on what they mean.

But, the NCAA rules are so convoluted, that it very difficult for us fans to really get a handle on all the cross-references between sections and the recent changes and/or interpretations.

Kind of like the US tax code. Wink

Anyway, I try to provide factual answers about the rules, but I know I could very easily be wrong.
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 May 2018 8:57 pm 

I was thinking they were more like continuing to maintain some of the original rules of golf and their convoluted cross references and a few just plain idiotic rules...

At the very least they both have a lot in common Big Grin
Micky MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 05 May 2018 10:07 pm 

Very Happy

I'm also a golfer.

And, yes ... I'm the "rules expert" within my circle of golfing friends.

You're right, trying to research and figure out golf rule interpretations is harder than NCAA rules.

But, it looks like there is a good chance the golf rules get less complicated starting next year.

Can you say "repair any and all damage on the green without penalty". Gig 'em
12thManMVP
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 06 May 2018 9:48 pm 

Williams to tu according to Comical in Houston.

Ronnie '88
Goodson MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 06 May 2018 11:33 pm 

^

If true, that sucks.

Sad
Aggie_Fanatic
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 07 May 2018 12:21 am 

12thManMVP wrote:
Williams to tu according to Comical in Houston.

Ronnie '88
I personally cannot grasp being an aggie then transferring to tu to play my last year. It would be as if I were never really an aggie to begin with.
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 07 May 2018 12:33 am 

Saw them in another article last week as a possible destination...

AS much as I have enjoyed having her a major part of our team for the last three years...transferring to tu for her last year of eligibility does not appear to me to be a move that satisfies any of her desires to do what is best to be on a legitimate national year-in-and-year-out challenger nor give her better national exposure in her effort to make the pros.

I could see her at UConn, Miss St, Notre Dame, etc and wish her well and thank her for her time at A&M with only a small regret that she left early...at tu, that sure makes it much harder to be as understanding...

Just seems to me that IF she does move to tu she is making a statement that leaving A&M was more important to her than where she went. None of us EVER WANTS TO SEE THAT from any Aggie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Other Aggie Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: