The time now is 20 Jul 2018 6:46 pm
CFB Scattershotting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodags MR Member
Special Teamer

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2018 8:57 am 
Post subject: CFB Scattershotting
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Casa Goodags cut the cable cord this spring and I've been exploring the wonders of youtube, especially the wealth of content of full games from season's past. Some things stand out and I'd like to explore them for discussion.

New coaches remaking teams seem to take one of two approaches. One is to modify your desired approach, use the skills and talents on hand and work toward your desired state. The other is to start off with the complete rebuild. Examples of the first include Urban Meyer at Utah and Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. The other approach includes Fran at A&M and Bielema at Arkansas. Obviously those are cherry-picked examples and favor the use what you have method.

Focusing on the pigs for further discussion. Bielema inherited a team built for Petrino's aerial assault, almost the exact opposite of what he wanted to field. His 3-9 2013 campaign was awful, but he finally achieved a bruising , time consuming offense. Now Chad Morris comes in with a lightening fast, up-tempo philosophy and inherits a team built to grind it out. It will be interesting to see how things play out in pigland this year. Our players were recruited to fit a different style of offense. How will Jimbo respond?

I like the pre-replay review game. Mistakes were made, teams kept playing and the game flowed. Reviews interrupt the rhythm of the game. Since the reviews aren't going anywhere, I'd love to see changes made to limit the disruption. Perhaps the review shuts off at 30 seconds. If it isn't immediately obvious, let the game continue.

Shoulder pads used to be HUGE. Players weren't as huge. Combine the two and it is almost cartoonish.

Intentional grounding used to be really severe. Fifteen yards from the spot of the foul and loss of down.

I was out of the country for most of the '90s and followed the Aggies with a mailed subscription to the Eagle. The written word doesn't really describe the dominance of the Wrecking Crew. The game has changed, but my-oh-my I'd love to again see such speed, and intensity. I've said it before, but it's defense that makes Kyle Field an intimidating venue. We're a well educated fan-base, quiet when we have the ball and loud when the opposition has possession. If the defense isn't competing, the crowd doesn't come into play. I've had season's tickets since 2006 and since then, to my reckoning, we've only fielded two truly competent defenses; DeRuyter's 2009 squad and Snyder's 2012 squad.

I'd never seen the '98 BigXII title game. That was a seriously good wildcat team. My opinion ... if not for the wildcat's lack of discipline, the game would have never gone to overtime. I had never realized Lechler almost came in as QB. Holy cow! I'd also never seen Dat Nguyen play. He was like some super hero, appearing out of nowhere and delivering takedown blows. Folks, it's been 30 years since we won a championship. Time to get started.

My opinion, but I think we're a horrible, HORRIBLE, holding call against the swamp cats, away from a National Championship in 2012. That call completely changed the complexion of the game. If we win that game, we're in the SEC championship game against the bulldogs, a game I think we win easily. Media darling domers had no business in any of the four BCS bowls, much less the Championship game.

Ok, back to our regular summer doldrums. It'll be over 100 in San Antonio today and I have too much yard work to spend any more time in from of the computer this morning.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2018 6:25 pm 

Yeah, watching those old games sure shows us how the college (and professional) games have changed over the years.

I think the throwing the ball away by the QB and Olinemen allowed to drift downfield 3 yards on a passplay have made the game very pro-offense...
FDT67AG MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2018 7:30 pm 

dad...those are probably two of the top three reasons the nature of the game has become so pro-offensive as you state...

Just based on watching our games (mostly) I believe I can make a case that the NUMBER ONE reason that the game has become so "offensive" is the way that the referees allow offensive linemen to HOLD" most of the truly great ALL AMERICAN defensive ends and tackles with no more than one or two TOKEN holding calls per game...

And I think we have enough game film to prove it--even if we just used the Arkansas game films from each year... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Scott88 MR Member
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2018 7:52 pm 

One minor correction goodags...
It's been 20 years, not 30.
Still a long drought to be in, but not quite as bad.
Cool

Dat was a super hero. And he never failed to show up.
Never seen a player that consistent.
jamey MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2018 10:29 pm 
Post subject: Re: CFB Scattershotting

Scott88 wrote:

Dat was a super hero. And he never failed to show up.
Never seen a player that consistent.

At first I thought Dat was just one lucky sob. It was like the football ran straight to him play after play...even fumbles, INTs..you name it.

Nobody is that good, and certainly not some undersized vietnamese kid.

He was undersized but he had the best instincts humanly possible and was always very underrated as an athlete.

Best basketball player on the team.

He's my favorite defensive ayer of all time.

I remember one game where we couldn't tell who tackled the ball carrier and questioned it during the game....it was like the ball carrier just face planted for no reason.

Later that year we watched the games on tape back and forth and when we got to that play we saw where Dat...buried under several players swiped the ball carrier across the shins with his arm. That's all you could see was his arm flying out from a pile of bodies

Keep your eye on the goal.....they should show that highlight video in every sport and business management meeting till the end of time. Here's a guy, buried so no body, no legs...i guess he had at least 1 good eye and 1 good arm he could do something with.

And like that scene from Monty Python...nothing but a flesh wound. Dat kept at it
NW Ag MR Member
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018 1:08 am 

Jamey - you just highlighted one of my favorite and most memorable plays and players of my active memory. Dat was phenomenal. Only player I remember ever returning an on side kickoff for a touchdown. In the play you describe - he was buried by two opponents - at least one an O-lineman and he sticks an arm up and the RB dropped like a wet sack of flour.

Only one other play tops it in my memory and that was during the '84 sip game where Domingo Bryant blocked the field goal attempt into the arms of a back up DE (Scott??) Polk who was finally drug down around the 7 yd line. The Aggies had surprisingly done well in the first half - but the sips took the opening 2nd half kickoff and driven to a first down on our 11 - and with momentum seemingly slipping away - the Wrecking Crew rose - and then Domingo slashed and Scott ran his personal best 85 yards - and a decade of dominance was initiated.
jamey MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018 1:18 am 

FDT67AG wrote:
dad...those are probably two of the top three reasons the nature of the game has become so pro-offensive as you state...

Just based on watching our games (mostly) I believe I can make a case that the NUMBER ONE reason that the game has become so "offensive" is the way that the referees allow offensive linemen to HOLD" most of the truly great ALL AMERICAN defensive ends and tackles with no more than one or two TOKEN holding calls per game...

And I think we have enough game film to prove it--even if we just used the Arkansas game films from each year... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

In addition to how the refs interpret the rules but that is based on a rule change in itself.

It wasn't that long ago...early 80s or so when the OL could not use hands at all

Same goes for the secondary going up for a pass. Once upon a time that pass was anyone's ball. Nowadays if the DB doesn't hold his tongue just right he gets called for pass interference
MechAg94 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018 8:55 am 

jamey wrote:

Same goes for the secondary going up for a pass. Once upon a time that pass was anyone's ball. Nowadays if the DB doesn't hold his tongue just right he gets called for pass interference

I see pass interference called all sorts of ways. One game, the refs will throw a flag if the DB looks wrong at the receiver. Another game, the DB will flatten the receiver and it will be brushed off saying he was going for the ball.

The other frustrating part is the refusal of the TV commentators to say anything negative about the referee calls. They almost always take their side no matter how bad the call is and start talking down to the player for messing up.
Rover
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2018 9:46 am 

Used to be that until the ball was in the air, you could do about anything to an opposing wide receiver...end...wing back...whatever.

I've blocked them out of bounds, thrown them to the ground and lay on them and as long as you were looking back at the ball, you could run over them...I just don't know how a guy played DB these days other than blinding speed and a thick skin.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits...Albert Einstein
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> Aggie Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: