The time now is 20 Jul 2018 6:33 pm
Saban Open Door Policy to NFL Scouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> SEC Sports & Recruiting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2018 8:36 am 
Post subject: Saban Open Door Policy to NFL Scouts
Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Quote:
John KeimESPN Staff Writer

Alabama coach Nick Saban knew what he wanted when he coached in the NFL -- first as a defensive assistant with the Houston Oilers and Cleveland Browns, then as head coach of the Miami Dolphins in 2005 and 2006.

He has spent the past 11 years as a college head coach making sure he provides that information to the league he left behind. NFL talent evaluators crave information; Saban’s policy at Alabama helps them obtain it.

He has maintained an open-door policy for scouts, a philosophy that can help recruiting, keep college players sharp in practice and, yes, lead to more information for NFL teams. It also can help underclassmen decide if they’re ready for the NFL.

"I know it’s a lot easier when you have that policy than when you don’t," Saban said. "When I was in the NFL and I wanted to go see a player and work out players, places that had a policy that embraced that, you were always looking forward to going there. Places that didn’t, you almost didn’t want to go sometimes. It was counterproductive for the player.

Does Jimbo have this policy?

I would guess that we have this policy.

Link to Article
KMRing
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2018 1:07 pm 

When I visited A&M for the first time in the spring '96, to meet with Mike Sherman, in the mornings I had the film room to myself. I would be in the main auditorium, and each day there were scouts in the side rooms, looking at their film.

I had a trove of stuff in my cart, and once in awhile the scouts would come out and ask if I had a particular game. I remember speaking with guys from the Broncos and Giants.

Point is, I would assume that that has been our policy for a long time. Very Happy Gig 'em
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018 8:04 am 

Thanks, Coach.

I am not sure I have ever heard a story like this from Aggie journalists. I don't know how prevalent this might be in major college football.

How likely is this policy to be changed or tweaked from HC to HC?
ned911 MR Member
Hall of Fame

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018 8:45 am 

Wouldn't a coach be an idiot to not have an open door for NFL scouts? This would be a huge recruiting tool IMO.

There are scouts and even HC's at UMD on an almost daily basis during spring ball and fall camp. The kid has literally run into Belichick in the halls.

Aggie 911 race car
KMRing
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018 1:21 pm 
Post subject: Re: Saban Open Door Policy to NFL Scouts

Agdad78 wrote:
Thanks, Coach.

I am not sure I have ever heard a story like this from Aggie journalists. I don't know how prevalent this might be in major college football.

How likely is this policy to be changed or tweaked from HC to HC?

I would imagine that it was pretty prevalent. What possible downside would there be? Guys (players) want to see NFL guys around, or at least know they're there.

I do not remember seeing the scouts at practice itself, but that may have been because I was really focused on not getting run over in the OL drills. Smile
Cotton79 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2018 6:30 pm 

Having such a policy sure makes sense to me. Let's take the counter-argument: why wouldn't a coach (and program) have such a policy? NFL scouts want to see the players (or info thereof), and the players want to be seen by the NFL scouts (or at least have "their stuff" seen by the scouts). Seems like a win-win to me. Sure, they are student-athletes, but this stuff can be programmed into things such that the focus is first, last, and always on the academics.
Agdad78 MR Member
AgTimes Legend

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018 8:11 am 

If Coach Saban does it, I am all for it.

It makes perfect sense to me for all the reasons mentioned above to do it.

I have just never heard (or i simply do not remember) any discussion about A&M's policy on this.

I have a "sliver" of knowledge from about 2004...and Coach Ring has a bunch more in personal experience from the 90's.

Just wondered if anyone has heard or seen anything about Jimbo's policy. I personally doubt it varies much from St. Nick...

I may ask him while at the other site's Kickoff on July 28th...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AgTimes Boards Forum Index -> SEC Sports & Recruiting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: